Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Homeschooled Housewife's Personal Homeschool Truths

Public school is back in session this week in my hometown.  And as a result I've been posting a few engaging things over on my Homeschooled Housewife Facebook page.  Whew, nothing like the age old homeschool vs public school debate.  Love it!

In response to these recent conversations, I posted what I like to call, our personal homeschool truths on my Facebook page.  I think it's worth repeating here on my blog.  It's good.  Here you go.


  • We believe that homeschooling is the best choice for us.
  • We reserve the right to change our minds.
  • We are saddened that many parents don't know they have options when it comes to education.
  • We respect other's decisions.
  • We encourage other's to consider homeschooling.
  • We believe homeschooling educates the whole child.

My husband and I truly believe in the above statements.  What works for some doesn't work for all.  Respect is key- no matter what your decision.





2 comments:

  1. No disrespect at all from me. I am just trying to figure out what would be best for my own child. I am a mother of four. My family and I have recently moved to California where homeschooling is seen a lot; from an area where it was never seen. I have a 12 year old boy who has always been a good student that made good grades and enjoyed school. After moving two years ago, he still scores high but has decided he doesn't want to get up in the morning and go to school. We have met some kids that are homeschooled and he thinks that is what we should do for him. The thought scares me and atthe same time, his dad says he will not dictate what will happen. Like I said, we have no experience with this. How do I know what to do and is it costly and can it be started once the public school year has started?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there and welcome! The good news is you live in CA which has low regulation & requires only parental notification in order to legally homeschool. Check with your local school district, they can help you with the notification & forms needed. It's my understanding you can do this at any point during the school year- but check w/the district to make sure. As far as cost- we homeschool for very little money out of pocket. There's a great online homeschool curriculum for all grades that I highly recommend, Easy Peasy. http://allinonehomeschool.com/ My advice would be to just relax & try to enjoy the benefits of homeschooling. Take it one year at a time. If it's not working for your son or for you as parents, re-evaluate. Keep in mind that it may take a year or so to get comfortable homeschooling. The first year can be rough as you all adjust, so just hang in there! I'm always happy to help answer your questions & you can find me on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/HomeschooledHousewife Best of luck to you!

      Delete