Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Welcome to the Broken Bone Club

Well shit.

Those were the very first words the husband said to me after I told him what had happened.  You see- I woke up one Monday morning and it hurt to walk.  Like- A LOT.  So I babied my offending foot that day and prayed it would be better by tomorrow.  It wasn't.

Then I tried all the things in my arsenal.  Icing, elevation, Epsom salt bath, special essential oils to help with aches and pains, massage- tried it and not a single one worked.  So by Thursday, I had had enough of the hobbling around and I called a podiatrist.  Unfortunately the soonest they could get me in would be the following Monday.  A whole week after the pain first began.  But I had hope that it would heal and I would make a miraculous recovery over the weekend and could then cancel my Monday appointment.  It did not and so I went.

Turns out- I have a stress fracture, or a tiny little broken bone, in one of my toes.

Boo.

I'd been walking around with a BROKEN BONE IN MY TOE FOR A FULL WEEK y'all.  Ah-mazing really when you think about it.  I'm a ROCKSTAR and clearly my pain tolerance is BEYOND.
The Boot


I'm now in a "boot" and let me just say that I am NOT PLEASED.  This damn boot hurts worse than the broken bone.  It's heavy and holds my foot at an uncomfortable position all day long.  I have also been instructed to stay "immobile".

BWAHAHAHAHA.

Now that's funny.  The timing could NOT be worse as I'm working all weekend, it's the kiddo's birthday tomorrow, we've got family parties, friend party, karate belt testing and the last soccer game until the next session.  I am also not a person who sits around doing nothing.  This is physically VERY hard for me.  And can I just say that I've been sitting for 1.5 days (in between cooking and doing laundry) and I've already done WAY more online shopping than should be legal.  And read two books.

Save me Jesus.

So the point of all of this you're probably wondering?

Well....do you remember a couple blog posts ago where I was lamenting the possibility of Mom Burnout?  It turns out....I was probably right.  I'm thinking this broken bone, of which I've never broken a bone before ever, was a sign that I need to slow down.  I need to rest more and give my body the calm and relaxation it needs and deserves.

So y'all- my message to you today is simple.  Take time out for yourself.  For YOUR health before you find yourself in a boot and a member of the Broken Bone Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment