Saturday, January 18, 2014

Betty Crocker Chili

I'm not even kidding- this is Ms. Betty's very own chili recipe.  Circa- the 1950's straight out of the big red book that all our Mama's and Grandmama's have.  And it's our favorite.  Super simple, easy to make, filling and SO good.

I have doubled the recipe so there's enough for leftovers the next day.  This will feed a normal family of 4 for one meal and enough for lunch the next day.  Perfect!  I have pretty much left it as is- although I do add more chili powder & 1 extra can of kidney beans- adjust to suit your own tastes.  Enjoy!

Chili Ingredients
Betty Crocker Chili

2 lbs organic grass fed ground beef
2 cans organic kidney beans
2 cans condensed tomato soup
1 large onion, diced
4 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons flour
6 tablespoons water

Cook the ground beef and onions and drain the fat when done cooking.

Mix the chili powder, salt, flour and water in a small bowl.  This will create a "paste".  Add this paste to the ground beef and onion mixture and allow to thicken- should take just a couple minutes.
Mix & Add to the Beef & Onions

Finally, add the condensed tomato soup and your canned kidney beans.  Side note- I usually cook with ALL organic ingredients.  However for this chili recipe, my family personally prefers the taste of the Campbell's condensed tomato soup.  I know....I know...but until I can find a similiar substitution, this is what I use.
Add Beans & Soup 

Simmer on low, as in- super duper low, for at least 1 hour.  The longer, the better!

Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, green onion- whatever your heart desires!



No comments:

Post a Comment