Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How to Teach What You Hate



I'm struggling here.

Math is just not my strong suit.  When I graduated high school, I fully expected to leave the hard math behind me and never, ever do any math that didn't involve a calculator.  The only class I have ever failed was Geometry.  On the second go around- I'm pretty sure the teacher felt sorry for me and so I passed, barely.  From there I was put into "stupid people math", otherwise known as Applied Math.  So I fully admit that when it comes to teaching my son math, I falter.

Thankfully, it's all pretty easy right now.  He's just turned 9 and we haven't yet started on difficult fractions or division.  Geometry and Trig are looming on the horizon but I have yet to encounter those beasts.  And since that's pretty much the extent of my math abilities, I have no clue what comes after these horrid concepts.

So how exactly do you teach math, or any subject that you HATE, to your child?  Oh fellow Homeschooling Momma....I feel your pain!  Here's what I'm doing now and what my husband and I plan to do in the future.  Perhaps it can help you?


  • Try not to let your hatred of a subject bleed over onto your child.  Remember they are approaching this subject with fresh eyes ready to learn.  Tackle it with a smile even if you're cringing on the inside.
  • Use many different tools.  For me, it's math.  But maybe for you it's science, or art, or music.  Whatever the subject, try to expose your child to many different learning tools within that subject.  We are currently using an online program called Compass Odyssey, lots of workbooks, simple games like Math Bingo and Math Go Fish, manipulatives, hands on activities like cooking with fractions, online math games from websites like CoolMath.com and an outside math class taught by a certified teacher at his homeschool program.
  • Beef up on subject that you are not good at so that your children will excel where you suck.  Say what?!?  Here's the deal- math has always been difficult for myself and my husband.  Thus, we understand the struggle that comes with not understanding this subject.  We don't want our child to suffer the same fate so we make math a HUGE focus in our homeschooling journey.
  • Put your pride aside and recognize when you are no longer able to teach a subject to your child.  I fully realize that there will come a point where my son's knowledge will outweigh mine.  Since I have very limited understanding of math concepts, it probably won't be too much longer.  When that time comes, my husband and I have discussed our next steps so that our son can continue learning.  We will not let our lack of understanding and knowledge be a hindrance to our child.  
  • Have a plan for continued learning.  Perhaps it's an internship, friends or family members who can help, a job experience, a tutor, a study group, outside classes through the local high school or community college.  But whatever the subject, make sure that your child can continue on their learning path even when you are not the one teaching them.  For us- we are lucky to have the support of a homeschool program that offers higher level math classes and we will most likely explore other options when the time comes.  My husband and I are committed to our son's continued growth and education.
So there you have it.  Oh how I HATE math.  And the irony of teaching a subject that I detest is not missed on me- trust me.  I'm sure my parents get a good laugh out of it all.  Seriously- what child didn't whine about "but I'll never use this!" and "why can't I just use my calculator?".  Trust me, I get it.  But here I am- teaching my child how to do 3 digit subtraction, how to work with fractions and drilling into him over and over to SHOW YOUR WORK.  Life is funny that way.....




No comments:

Post a Comment