Friday, March 14, 2014

Building Traditions through Holidays

My son loves holidays.

Seriously-  he LOVES them.  Every single one of them.  I'm sure that Christmas is his favorite and to be fair, it's mine too.  Who doesn't love Christmas, right?  And I know that his second favorite is 4th of July, which is actually my husband's favorite holiday.  Something about drinking beer and blowing shit up just appeals to the male species.  But the kiddo is also a big fan of other, less celebrated holidays.

For me, holidays = tradition.

Enjoying a homemade Shamrock Shake
And I have worked extremely hard to give my son some awesome traditions.  Sure, they may seem silly to some or a waste of time to others.  However, when I look ahead to what I want my son to remember about his childhood- the fact that Mommy went ALL OUT and made holidays special is at the top of my list.  And let me be very clear folks- it is not about how much money I spend, gifts or things.  It's about celebrating, learning, spending time together and being a family.  Now tell me- isn't that important and worth your time?

So as St. Patrick's Day approaches you're probably wondering how on earth you could celebrate this day?  It's not like there's a Christmas tree, or the birth of Jesus to mark the occasion.

Growing up, my Dad always made corned beef and cabbage (barf!), drank Guinness and we celebrated his birthday, which was just one day prior.  Now, my family celebrates by making Guinness cupcakes, Shamrock shakes, building leprechaun traps and reading about the history of St. Patrick's Day and exploring our Irish heritage.  It's a day full of fun and the unexpected and something my son genuinely enjoys.

Holidays are simply fun and a great way to spend time together as a family.  So this year, stop and take a moment to celebrate your family.  Make some new memories and traditions.  I promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment