Friday, November 22, 2013

Buy a Local, Organic Turkey This Year

This is the 2nd year that I've paid a buttload for a local turkey.  And by buttload- I mean well over $50 for a 15 pound turkey.  YIKES!

So why am I doing this?  What makes this turkey so special?  Surely it must be stuffed with gold or something, right?

There's a few reasons why I buy a local turkey and why I encourage you to do the same.


  1. It's better for you.  Local turkeys have usually been fed a non-GMO diet.  They are not pumped full of antibiotics, hormones and other chemicals.  So this means that you and your family are not eating these harmful toxins.
  2. It's better for the turkey.  I always say that a local turkey is a happy turkey.  Insert any animal here- but you get the point.  This turkey has lived a great life.  It's been allowed to run and gobble gobble with it's friends.  In general, it's been raised and killed humanly- which is VERY important for me and my family.
  3. The family that I support by buying local, the Diestel Family- 4 generations of turkey farmers.
  4. You are supporting the little guy.  Think about it- do you want to support a major company like Butterball that is all profit driven?  Or do you want to vote with your dollars and support a local family?  I would much rather put my money in the hand's of my local economy.  Money that is spent locally, tends to stay local.  It's a win-win!
Not convinced yet?  Here's a great quick read on the 10 Benefits to Buying Organic Meats.

Ok, so you've decided to buy a local turkey for Thanksgiving this year.  So how exactly does one go about buying local meat?  It's actually quite simple.  You can buy your turkey from a local farmer.  Just google it and do a little online research.  Many larger farms offer the option to purchase online.  It's perfect!  I buy mine from a farm just 2 states away, The Diestel Family Turkey Ranch.  I am able to order my turkey from a local grocery chain that I trust, PCC.  If you can't find a local farmer, you can also usually buy one from your local grocery store.  We are fortunate that many larger chain grocers are jumping on the local/organic bandwagon- so picking up an organic turkey is much easier then it once was.

My local, organic turkey!
My recommendation is to always buy from a local farmer first.  And by local- I mean something within a days drive (maybe 2 days).  This ensures a fresh turkey!  After all, you don't want your poor turkey travelling halfway across the country before it lands in your mega chain grocery store.  If you can buy from someone you know or from a farm that's been recommended to you- all the better!  That's why buying from a local grocery chain that carries local meats is the best of both worlds!  

There's even some farms where you can pick out your turkey and they will email you photo updates on how your little turkey is doing!  Sometimes you can even visit your turkey!  While some folks think this is a bit morbid, I think it helps to teach you and your kids exactly what "farm to table" means.  Pretty sure there's a homeschool lesson in there somewhere!  

Here's a wonderful (and short!) video on the farm and the family where I buy my turkey.  Now this is what farming should look like!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Want to read more about buying organic meats?  Check out my post, An Organic Cow is a Happy Cow.


No comments:

Post a Comment