Saturday, November 16, 2013

10 Years!



We did it!  We've made it to another milestone in wedded bliss- 10 years!

In some ways it feels like it was truly only yesterday when my husband and I walked down the aisle.  And then in other instances, it feels like a lifetime.  I am by no means an expert on marriage, perhaps in another 50 years I may have it all figured out!  However, there are some things that we've learned along the way and I'm feeling pretty confident with 10 years under our belts, that they just might be useful to you all.

Listen
Love
Forgive

And there you have it.  Those 3 little words that I quietly repeat to myself during hard times.  We all know there will be times of difficulty in every marriage- you wouldn't be normal if there wasn't!  And of course, when things are great, it's easy peasy!  But those 3 simple words can really make a difference when things aren't so great.

Listen to what your spouse is saying.  Really stop and listen.  Hear their heart.  Listen for the words that aren't coming, listen to their hurt and frustration.  Say to them "I hear you".  Let them know you are tuned in and doing your best to hear and understand.

Love your spouse even when you don't really like them.  Love them when they are difficult, when they make you angry, love them through sadness and upset.  That's when we need love the most!  A love so deep that sometimes it hurts- this is what will sustain you.

Forgive all sins.  Forgive them for forgetting an anniversary or for not getting you a Christmas gift.  Forgive them for hurtful words said in anger or for coming home late (again!).  Forgiveness covers a multitude of sins and will heal your marriage and your heart.

If you're married then you know marriage is hard work.  And I'm super proud of my husband and I for reaching this big milestone.  Here's to the next 10 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment