Friday, October 25, 2013

What Do You Mean You Don't Have a Curriculum?

Whenever I tell people that we are homeschoolers, one of the common statements I hear is- "I know "so and so" who also homeschools.  Aren't you lucky that there's so much curriculum available."

Ugh.

Here we go.

And so begins the question from non-homeschooling people- "what curriculum do you use?"  And then I feel compelled to tell them the truth, which is- we don't.  And of course their eyes bug out just a little bit and they stammer- "wha what? how can you homeschool without curriculum?"  Hmm...well gee- I don't know.  How can you parent without a manual?  It's not rocket science here folks, although if it were I would definitely hire my son a tutor!  Ha!

The reality is that many homeschoolers do NOT use a boxed curriculum.  I talk a bit here about what we use and how we personally save money on homeschooling resources.  But there's other reasons besides money that we have chosen to not buy a curriculum.

  • Boredom.  Boo- sometimes those boxed sets are downright boring and tedious.  No thanks!
  • Flexibility.  My son is 8.  He is totally focused on one thing for a week or two and then it's on to another.  I have no clue a year in advance what he'll be into.  How could I possibly plan curriculum around this?  You can't.
  • To follow a specific method of homeschooling.  We are eclectic homeschoolers who lean towards unschooling.  This can't happen with a boxed curriculum.
  • What about the gifted or disabled kids?  A boxed set is designed to do what a traditional public school does- it aims for the middle of the road.  What if your kid is ahead of the game?  What if they have a learning disability?
  • This is not the way my son likes to learn.  He is NOT a sit down with paper & pencil learner.  He's a hands on, doing, touching, feeling sort of kid.  So to go against his natural learning style would be a huge detriment to him.
  • And of course money.  Holy Buckets are those boxed sets pricey!

See there- lots of excellent reasons.....So if we don't use a formal pre packaged curriculum then what DO we use?  
  • Books
  • Magazines
  • DVD's
  • Homeschool classes
  • Field trips
  • Workbooks
  • The outside world- nature
  • Participation in sports- soccer, martial arts, swimming
  • Workshop classes
  • The Internet
  • Toys & Games
  • Physical tools- magnify glass, projects, microscopes, arts & crafts, etc

So I suppose I shouldn't feel so guilty the next time someone comments on my lack of curriculum.  I think what we use and how we have chosen to homeschool is pretty awesome.  It fits our lifestyle and it fits my son's learning style- which is really all that matters.

What do you use in your homeschooling journey?

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm with you, lady. I try getting ideas for my son which of course, are always less appealing than real life, so I usually end up working backwards filling in my plans AFTER those teachable moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Glad you liked the post- thanks for reading! I love the way you describe it- working backwards, that's a great way to look at it! I guess that's exactly what I do too. ;) It usually begins with something my son is interested in and then we create projects, ideas, etc from those interests. Child- led learning- for sure!

      Delete