Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Grocery Budget Challenge- Week #1 Meal Plan


Tomorrow is Monday and the OFFICIAL start to my Grocery Budget Challenge.  If you remember, I am attempting to feed my family of 4 people and 2 dogs on $150 per week.  But here's the real challenge- I will be buying mostly organic foods.  Now- if you shop for organic, you know how expensive it is! YIKES!

Meal planning will be essential to staying on budget.  Here's a look at what this week's meals will be- a good mix of beans, soups, crockpot meals and vegetarian dishes.  Awesome!

Week #1


Monday
Crockpot Lasagna with Green Salad
Fried Potatoes, Fresh Fruit & Oatmeal for Breakfast

Tuesday
Pinto Bean Tacos with Mexican Rice
Pancakes & Fresh Fruit for Breakfast

Wednesday
No-Chicken Chicken and Dumplings 
Leftover Fried Potatoes, Fruit & Oatmeal for Breakfast

Thursday
Cheese Enchildas with Vegetarian Refried Beans *Double Batch
Leftover Pancakes & Fruit for Breakfast

Friday
Leftovers for Dinner
Toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt for Breakfast

Saturday
Tator Tot Casserole with Cucumber Salad and Roasted Veggies *Double Batch
Toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt for Breakfast

Sunday
Red Beans and Rice *Double Batch of Red Beans
Toast, cereal, fruit, yogurt for Breakfast


For my baked goods this week, I've planned on getting into the holiday spirit with some Pumpkin Bread and Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies.  SO good!  I will be making my Black Bean and Cheese Taquitos to send with my husband in his lunch.  For his lunches- he likes things that he can eat while driving.  I know....I know....but it is what it is....he also doesn't have access to a fridge or microwave so that severely limits what I can pack for him.  So lunches this week will be the taquitos and if I run out, good old PB & J.  Fresh fruit and some pumpkin bread will round it all out!      

BTW- did you notice that I had 3 meals to freeze and add to my freezer ready stockpile?  This is perhaps one of my biggest tips for busy Moms- freeze, freeze, freeze!!!  I simply can't say it enough.  If you cook 100% from scratch, I can guarantee you that there will be nights that you simply don't want to cook yet again.  There will also be nights where you're so busy during the daytime that you haven't had time to start dinner.  Many times, I just pull out one of my freezer meal and I'm ready to go!  This also means that you don't have to spend a ton of money on expensive and unhealthy freezer meals.  Really- the only meals in my freezer are those I make myself- oh, and a couple organic pizzas! ;)

Stay tuned for Week #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment