Thursday, October 3, 2013

Snack Mom

Since when did it become acceptable to pass out crap after a soccer game and call it a "snack"?

A typical snack
I knew we were in trouble when the very first game ended with a package full of Oreos, a baggie of Cheez Its and a Capri Sun.  GMO's, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, MSG, artificial dyes, preservatives, carcinogens and more- ugh!

I briefly thought about emailing the coach with a helpful list of alternatives.  Instead of Cheez Its how about Annie's Cheddar Bunnies?  Substitute the Capri Sun for an Honest Kids juice drink.  Organic popcorn, fresh fruit, carrot sticks....oooh but I had a fabulous list of much healthier alternatives.  Except that my son begged me not to say anything.  He didn't want the other kids to find out and he didn't want to fall into that dreaded "different" category.  Sorry kid, we are different.  Get used to it!

So instead I've decided to simply lead by example.  Our turn to bring snacks is up and we are only 1/4 of the way through the soccer season.  My hope is that our snack will stand out.  I want parents to wake up and realize there are better choices.  And perhaps the rest of the soccer season will see an improvement in snack time.  Maybe...

You've seen a photo of a typical snack.  Now let me tell you about the snack I've prepared for game day.  Popchips, organic apple slices and Honest Kids juice drinks.

Listen, I'm the first to say that Popchips are NOT healthy.  These are the "fun" part of our snack.  William desperately wanted something "cool" and he requested chips because that's what the cool kids handed out for snacks.  So I compromised on these.  They are baked instead of fried, they have NO artificial flavors and do NOT contain any of the dreaded GMO's.  Let me also say that I do not buy these for my family.  Mainly because they are still highly processed and not made with organic ingredients.  However, I felt they were a good balance of healthier ingredients and that "cool" factor William requested.

Up next- organic apple slices.  Can you believe that we have had 4 games and NOT a single piece of fruit has been handed out?!?  I don't know about you, but in my house a snack almost always includes fruit or veggies.  Enough said.

And finally, Honest Kids juice pouches.  They are certified organic and a great alternative to the icky Capri Sun drinks.  They are not a staple in my house but more of a special treat.  Mainly because they still contain way more sugar then I want my son consuming and because they are not 100% juice.


Now this is all well and good but how does it compare price wise?  Well lets see shall we....there are 9 kids on my son's soccer team.  I always make 10 just in case there's a younger sibling or something that feels left out.  So I've priced these with a quantity of 10 in mind.

Crap Snack

Individual package of Oreos $.45
Single serving bag of Cheez Its $.46
Capri Sun $.33

Per kid $1.24
Total Spent $12.40

Healthier Snack

Single serving bag of Popchips $.17
Single serving bag of Apple Slices $.70
Honest Kids $.38

Per Kid $1.25
Total Spent $12.50

So to all of those folks who say that buying organic, healthier foods cost way more money- here's your proof.  I priced the "crap snack" at my local Safeway grocery store.  The "healthier snack" is what I actually paid for each item.  Literally 10 cents more for the healthier snacks.  Are your kids worth an extra 10 cents?

A Healthier Snack





2 comments:

  1. Hi Chrissie, don't live in US but am a mom too and it's great to see how you go the extra mile to feed your family healthy and stay from junk snacks that are responsible for several health issues these days. Keep up your good work for your family and community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Us Mom's have to stick together! Glad you stopped by, thanks for reading!

      Delete