Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Do You Have a Freezer Stockpile?



I've said it before and I'll say it again- I believe in being prepared.

That's why I like to keep my freezer well stocked with easy meals made from healthy foods.  If you've read my blog before, you know that I like to cook whole foods, mainly vegetarian and organic foods from scratch.  I keep the processed foods to a minimum.

The easiest way that I've found to build up my freezer stockpile is to simply make a double batch of a meal as you're cooking it.  I do this with just about everything- provided I have enough ingredients on hand.  This assumes you are keeping a well stocked fridge and pantry.  Sometimes you make a meal last minute and simply don't have enough ingredients on hand to make a double batch- don't worry about it!  There will be plenty of chances to double up later!

Handy Chart for Freezing Meat
Here's a list of some of my favorite meals to stockpile-


  • Meat & Bean Chili
  • Lentil Chili
  • Black Bean Chili
  • Black Bean & Cilantro Quinoa
  • Macaroni and Cheese
  • Cheese Enchiladas
  • Chicken Tortilla Soup
  • Black Bean Soup
  • Baked Potato Soup
  • Chicken Noodle Soup & other veggie based soups
  • Vegetarian Burgers
  • Beef Burgers *not cooked
  • Spaghetti Sauce
  • Lasagna
  • Twice Baked Potato Casserole
  • Meatloaf *not cooked
  • Meatballs *not cooked
  • Muffins
  • No Yeast Breads like Zucchini & Pumpkin
  • Cookie Dough *not baked
  • Pie Crusts *not baked
I will also cook up a roast or whole chicken (very rarely) and then make broth with the bones and save the meat to add into other meals.  The cooked meat is then easy to thaw & throw into soups, chilis etc.  One five pound whole chicken will provide a full chicken dinner for my family, up to 3 additional meals where chicken is added (soups, stews, enchiladas etc) and not the main course, a gallon of chicken broth and scraps to feed my dogs for two meals.  I use every single part of that chicken!

I also freeze yogurt, cheese, berries, chocolate chips, fresh fruit, nuts, deli meat, packaged hot dogs and more!  Just about anything can be frozen.  So stock up when your favorite items are on sale and pop it in the freezer!

I use foil pans like this one for freezing casseroles, enchiladas, lasagnas etc.  For soups, I cool in the fridge and then put it in a large ziploc bag the next day.  Don't forget to label it with a sharpie with the name of the recipe and the date you made it!  For meats that I don't cook- I will make a double batch and bake one that day then put the other half in a labeled ziploc bag.  For burgers, meatballs and cookie dough, I flash freeze then stick in a ziploc bag.  Super easy!

This is a simple way for you to save money- you won't eat out as much and for you to feed your family healthy meals!  For a busy wife and mother- it's guaranteed to make your life much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment