Sunday, January 17, 2016

The WSLP

The bane of my existence mmkay....

WSLP stands for Written Student Learning Plan and I hate it.  Seriously- HATE.  IT.  Each month I have to update this plan with what we've done in our homeschool, the progress the kiddo has made, the activities, the curriculum, approximate time spent on each item as well as test scores and grades.  But here's the kicker- you have to do this all a MONTH BEHIND.

So let's just stop right here.

We are Eclectic Homeschoolers who follow Unschooling whenever possible.  I triple dog dare you to figure out a way to measure this business in a WSLP.  Go ahead- I'll wait.....

Exactly.

Can't be done.  We don't test.  We don't follow a set curriculum.  I never know from one month to the next what we will be doing, let alone try to remember an entire month back.  Ugh.

The second part to the dreaded WSLP is the twice yearly update.  This one is more exhausting and seems to be at the whim of state legislators as it's requirements change each time.  It's here that we have to plan out an entire six months worth of homeschooling.  SIX MONTHS.  Yeah- no.  We do this at the very beginning of Fall before 1st semester begins and again after Christmas before 2nd semester begins.

I have learned to type in the words and phrases that the state wants (at this moment) and then simply copy and paste from the first plan to the second.  I also NEVER do any of this work ahead of time because as I've said- the requirements change each time.  I clearly am not about to waste my time.

And y'all, this isn't even discussing the fact that the program that contains the WSLP seems to NEVER be working correctly.  No joke.  This thing has not run smoothly in the six years we've been attending.  How is this possible?  I just can't even....
I GIVE UP

So why am I telling you all of this?

Well- if you're going to be attending Edmonds Heights K-12 or any public school funded homeschool program, be prepared to deal with this nonsense.  While we have enjoyed our time here at EH, putting up with this ridiculousness has put a big damper on my desire to continue with this program.  Add in the fact that they got rid of many of the free classes taught by certified teachers and instead replaced them with expensive "workshop" classes and that they've had several recent threats to the campus and this Mama is seriously about to pull the plug.

While there are some benefits and I'm hesitant to leave a community that we've been a part of for over six years, it's come to a point where independently homeschooling is easier than being a part of this program.

I'm jumping through hoops and for what exactly?


So here's what the husband and I have decided-

  • For now, the kiddo will still attend this public school funded homeschool program.
  • We will be reducing the amount of hours/days he's at this program.
  • No longer will we use this program for core classes.
  • This will be an extension of our homeschool rather than the focus.
  • As a result, we will be changing how we do school at home.

The kiddo greatly enjoys the socialization found here.  He loves his Spanish class and I'm sorry to say it- but this Mama is simply NOT going to be busting out the Rosetta Stone anytime soon.  Pottery is fun and while he won't admit to it, he's really enjoyed his Myth, Fable & Fairytale playacting class this year.

These are all good things.

For now, the good is still outweighing the bad.  However I will say, that in recent years- it's a close race and the scales are more evenly divided.  If our state (Washington) keeps making changes to the requirements for public school funded programs such as ours, it will no longer be worth it to attend.  And that's probably their end goal.  I would not be surprised if "they" sit in their offices in the capital and dream up obstacles for programs such as ours to "encourage" families to drop out and then enroll in a more traditional public school.

But jokes on them- 

We will just drop out completely and become 100% independent.  Adios WSLP!  Peace out....



No comments:

Post a Comment