Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Awkward Family Photos

I do NOT believe my sweet little family is very photogenic.  Yes, we are adorable but for some reason that just doesn't transfer well to the camera.  I usually end up hating the angle or my smile, the kiddo is either FULL ON smile or none at all and the husband's eyes are almost always closed.  Every.  Single.  Time.

However, what we do really well is the candid shots.  You know...walking the dog, baking cookies, sitting at the desk doing school work....  The real shots as I call them- yeah, those are our JAM.  But get the three of us in a studio, with a professional pointing a camera straight at our bodies and suddenly we are all sorts of messed up.  And because I'm a perfectionist, none of these photos ever looks "good" to me because no matter how amazeballs the photographer is, they simply can't capture the real us.  The natural us.

So it was with some trepidation that I shared our first real professional photo in about four years over on the Facebook page.  Psst- it's now my profile pic mmkay....  The story behind this photo is just a bit funny and you just know that I can't share the photo without the story behind its conception.

Here goes!

It all started with my Mom's genius idea to do a family photo session while visiting family over Thanksgiving.  For my Mom, it was the first and probably last time that she will have all her people in the same room.  So GOOD LORD but you know you better jump on it and not miss out on this golden opportunity to capture the entire clan in all it's disfunctional glory.

Now, at first, I thought we were doing more "natural" shots.  Why?  Well because that's what I was told mmkay....NATURAL photos are my THANG.  But turns out that we were doing posed, studio pics.  EEK- what we do for family right?  But then we had to wear matching In-N-Out t-shirts.  So you guys...can I just say that I look good in quite a few things but a man's/unisex t-shirt is simply NOT one of them.  Yeah, no.  And to commemorate this less than ideal fashion look FOR THE REST OF TIME?  Gah.  Thanks Mom.

But I put my big girl panties on and dealt with it.  I could rock this.  Not my first choice but we made it work.  Kinda....

Picture day comes and one of the MAIN CHARACTERS of this show happens to be sick.  I'm sorry but what?!?  I'm not even joking- out of the 2 main people in this large crazy circus, one of them was a no show.  GREAT.

And then we show up at the studio and 6 of the 19 people are not wearing the approved dress code.  Fab-u-lous.  If I would have known that I could just do whatever the hell I wanted to do, you better believe I wouldn't have shown up in this outfit mmkay....

Deep breath.

Chaos.

Deep breath.

More chaos.

Big family picture.  Smaller group photos.  And finally my sweet little family was up next.  I'm not even joking with you but I made these poor photographers take our picture MANY times over.  Like, lots.  Because as I said earlier, we simply don't do well with the posed photos. 

The final image turned out alright.  It's certainly NOT my favorite picture of us and I would have MUCH preferred a different setting and different clothes but it's growing on me.  I think the story behind this shot is funny.  I was having some major hair issues, the kiddo refused to smile and the husband looked ridiculous without his hat.  And what in the ever lovin' what is going on with the husband's eyes?!?  Gah.  So it's as "us" as it's gonna get folks.

Maybe someday I'll get around to updating this photo.  The husband and I have joked about recreating some "Awkward Family Photo" moments but I kinda think we already did mmkay....

Family photos.  It's a whole thing yo.






No comments:

Post a Comment