Monday, December 22, 2014

We Like Chemicals In Our Food

Sigh....

Let me paint you all a picture.

It's Christmas Day and there's 25 people gathered around the tree.  Babies, aunts and uncles, grandparents, cousins- all ages.  We are eating, laughing and opening presents.  The perfect image of Christmas right here in this very living room.

Sounds great right?

And then this happens-

Family Member #1- I made a really great meatloaf the other day.  So good.

Me- You wouldn't want to hear about the meatloaf I made recently.  It was a lentil loaf.  I keep trying but I just can't get it right.

FM#1- Yeah, no thanks.  Meatloaf should have meat.

Me- It wasn't too bad, just needs a little work.
This was attempt #3- almost but not quite there.

Family Member #2- No one wants to hear about your lentils.  We don't make fun of your lentils so don't make fun of our food.  We like chemicals in our food.

And then FM#2 proceeds to storm away in a huff all while mumbling about "liking food with chemicals."

Sigh....

So here's the deal folks.  I completely and 100% get that not everyone is going to eat the way my family eats.  I also completely understand that many people don't believe that there's anything wrong with our food system.  I wish this weren't the case and while I do my best to share what I know, I do also respect that other's may have a difference of opinion.

However- I should be able to have a lighthearted conversation about the disaster that was my Lentil Loaf without someone taking offense and throwing a tantrum like a 2 year old.  If you follow me over on the Facebook page, you've probably seen some of the disastrous outtakes from said Lentil Loaf.  I've been trying for well over a year now to perfect my recipe but sadly, it's still a no-go.  Seriously- not good.

Comments like the above are frustrating sometimes but they are also really great learning lessons.  Not about food mind you but about the way in which people behave.

In this situation, I was not having a conversation with FM#2- at all.  This person felt the need to butt in and make a snide comment for no reason other then to be rude.  I was also not making fun of those that "eat chemical food" because the reality is that my family does still eat junk on occasion.  I would never intentionally make fun of anyone and their choices.  Seriously- I wasn't even talking about chemicals in the food but rather my disastrous attempts at making Lentil Loaf.  It's just not me.  And finally, this person walked away without giving me the chance to respond- which tells me they really weren't interested in what I had to say at all.

Sometimes the things people say and the way in which they behave says more about them than it ever will about you.

What I know without a shadow of a doubt is that the chemicals, pesticides, insecticides etc in our food are harmful to our health.  The full spectrum of exactly how much is still being determined.  What I also know is that food that is found in nature, untouched by "science" is best.  Food from the earth.  Without any added crap.  So why not simply eat that food?

I talk about it often.  I share what I know and I'm constantly learning more.  I can't help it- I am passionate about our food system and what is happening in our current society.  It's SO wrong and people's lives are being negatively impacted as a result.  I want my family to live a nice, long and healthy life.  I want my friends to raise healthy children.  I want our future generation to outlive their parents.  But with the way things are going- I don't see that happening and frankly, it all comes down to the food we are putting into our bodies.

We simply must start paying attention.  We must make better choices.

So yes- while sometimes I love the chemical food too, I try not to eat it every day at every meal.  Sometimes ignorance is really not bliss.  You can't keep eating McDonald's every week, slathering everything you eat with the chemical cocktail that is Hidden Valley ranch dressing and cooking up your Tyson chicken nuggets and expect to live a long and healthy life.  You just can't.  And while I get that it's hard for people to make changes, I'm here to tell you that if my family can do it- anyone can!

If you're interested in learning more, please check out a recent post I wrote about GMO's.



No comments:

Post a Comment