Friday, August 14, 2015

Weekly Menu 8/14/15

This week's menu is going to look a bit different because I'm trying to spend AS LITTLE MONEY at the grocery store as possible this week.  I've got a big project coming up soon and I'm trying to put aside as much extra money as possible in the next two weeks.  I do this whenever I have an unexpected large purchase (like new brakes on the car) or when I'm trying to put aside money for a project or save for vacation.  It's genius!  As a result, I'm going to be planning meals based on what I already have in my freezer stockpile and pantry.  We call this our "No Grocery Store Shopping Challenge" and it can be super fun to try and get creative and it's a great way to use up those less than desirable food items.

Alright, so....what am I going to be making?  What am I going to be buying?

My freezer is well stocked with yummy homemade meals and while I have enough meals in there to eat one every night, I do want to try to save them.  Plus, I have a few odds and ends that I need to use up!  A quick look in my pantry and fridge is all it takes to put together this week's menu.

Evening Meals

  • Pasta with Mozzarella, Basil and Tomato and Green Salad.  I was going to make this last week but never got around to it so that means that I've already got all the ingredients on hand.  I'll probably do a double batch so I have lots leftover for lunches during the week.  You can add just about any veggie you have to this recipe as well.  Items to Buy: Salad Mix
Photo Courtesy MyRecipes.com

  • Crock Pot Refried Beans.  I'll use this for lunches as well as a couple of dinners  One bag of dried beans makes a huge batch of refried beans.  Add in some yummy tortillas and a little cheese and you're in business!  *Here's a tip for you- I buy bell peppers whenever they go on sale, chop them up and stick them in the freezer.  Then, when I've got a recipe that calls for bell peppers or I want to throw in a little bell pepper to something, I'll simply take a handful out of the freezer.  This saves me time and money!  Items to Buy: Cheese

  • Hot dogs and fresh corn on the cob.  Super easy and quick weeknight meal- who doesn't love that!  I already have the Applegate hot dogs sitting in my freezer as I try to always stock up when they are on sale.  Items to Buy:  Hot dog buns, corn.

  • Crock Pot Tortellini Soup.  I've already got the tortellini in the freezer- PSST....did you know you can freeze packages of fresh tortellini/ravioli?  I buy these whenever they are on sale and simply pop in the freezer.  Genius!  I will also be making this recipe without the sausage because we simply don't eat that much meat and there's really no need to add it in.  In addition, this recipe calls for spinach but I'm all out.  However- I do have a ton of kale to use up, so I'll simply be substituting the spinach for the kale.  Easy peasy!  Items to Buy: Cream Cheese
Photo Courtesy
RedStarRecipe.com

  • Freezer Meal.  I'll be working all weekend long (what else is new!) so for one of those nights, I'll simply grab something out of the freezer for my boys.  Having a fully stocked freezer with homemade and healthy foods is much easier than you think!  Just make a double batch of one recipe once per week and in no time, you'll have a fully stocked freezer!  Items to Buy:  None

  • Lentils and Rice.  I always have a bag of lentils and rice in my pantry and the two go great together!  There's tons of recipes for cooked lentils so just find one that works with whatever ingredients you have on hand.  The key here is to buy as little as possible!  Items to Buy:  None
    Photo Courtesy of BrittanyCooks.com
Breakfast Meals
  • Pumpkin Bread.  Once the summer weather starts to turn a bit, the husband starts begging for Pumpkin Bread.  It's his favorite and I make a batch just about every week during the Fall and Winter months.  He can't get enough!  Items to Buy:  Eggs
  • Cinnamon Rolls.  One batch actually makes two pans of cinnamon rolls.  So I'll pop one in the freezer for another week.  Also- important to note, I do NOT add a powered sugar icing.  No need for the extra sugar.  Items to Buy:  Eggs
This week I will not be making any desserts.  Mainly because I'm making some "sweet" breads for breakfasts so we simply don't need more sugary items.  Even though we won't eat JUST the sweet stuff for breakfast, I do try to balance things out each week.  I will probably make up a batch of my Black Bean Hummus though as I've already got the black beans and limes and it makes a great snack!  Items to Buy:  None

In addition to this week's menu, I will also need to buy a few staples, fruit, milk and coffee.  But that's it!

Here's the weekly grocery shopping list so you can see how little I will be buying this week.
  • Salad mix
  • Cheese
  • Hot dog buns
  • Fresh corn on the cob
  • Cream Cheese
  • Eggs
  • Fruit
  • Milk
  • Coffee

Been following along on My Weekly Menu?  Want to see previous weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment