Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The NO Grocery Store Shopping Challenge


If you're like me- chances are you shop at the grocery store weekly.  I used to go every other week but since we've changed our diet and started eating many more fresh items, I find myself there every week.

Now every few months or so, my family does what we call- the NO grocery store challenge.  It's pretty simple really- just skip one of your regular weekly trips to the grocery store.  The challenge is that you must eat only the foods in your fridge, freezer or pantry.

The benefits to doing this are HUGE!

The main reason for doing this challenge is of course financial.  By skipping a regular weekly trip to the grocery store, you are not spending the weekly grocery money as you normally would.  For me, this is roughly $150.  If I can- I try to put this money into our savings.  But let's say that you had some unexpected car problems or a medical bill that needs to be paid.  This is a great, simple way to "earn" a little money for those unexpected bills.  I also do this challenge when my paycheck is a little less then what it should be or if we need a little extra money for Christmas or my son's birthday.

My family also does this challenge before we leave for a vacation.  Mainly because we want to use up all the food in the house so it doesn't spoil while we are gone.  Added bonus- I don't feel so guilty about eating all the cheese!  And also- we can then add this savings to our vacation fund.  Now that's pretty awesome!

Another wonderful benefit to doing the NO Grocery Store Challenge is that it's FUN!  Seriously, my son loves when we do this!  We eat things we don't normally eat and meals can get pretty creative- especially towards the end of the week!  A favorite in our house is called "Snack Night".  Basically, we eat cheese and crackers, the last couple pickles in the jar, some leftovers that have been sitting in the fridge, the last of the chips & salsa and I might pop some popcorn.  And Snack Night wouldn't be complete unless we set up a card table and ate it in the living room while watching TV- just like I used to do growing up.  Ah- think of all the fun memories!

Finally- the last benefit to doing this challenge is that it's a great time to use up some less then desirable items that you've had sitting in your fridge, freezer or pantry for far too long.  Big chunk of roast with just a little freezer burn?  How about that double batch of Lentil Meatloaf that was less then tasty?  Two cans of mismatched soup that are about to expire?  You get the idea here- it's time to clean out your food supplies and get creative!

I recommend doing the NO Grocery Store Challenge at least every six months.  My family averages it about every 3 months or so- but I guarantee you that once you start, you'll be hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment