Thursday, January 22, 2015

Let Me Tell You a Little Story

The husband & I have this little game we play.  He will say "I Love You" & I will say it back.  Then he'll say it again & I'll say, "tell me something you love".  This works both ways of course- but we often take the time to tell the other exactly what we love about them.

Seriously.  How adorable are we, right?!?

Last night, I asked the husband to tell me something he loves about me.  Normally it's the same kind of stuff (you take care of me, you're my best friend, you are kind etc) but last night...last night it made me want to cry.

Here's what he had to say-

"I love the changes you are making to our food and the way we live.  I love that you care enough to make it a priority.  I love what you're doing for us."

And you guys....I just....I can't even....IT.  WAS.  AWESOME.  That last part was my favorite.  I love what you're doing for us.  As a wife and a mother- it just doesn't get any better then this. It just doesn't.

Because let's face it, it's been a struggle.  Changing the way my family eats, reducing our meat consumption, eating more vegan dishes, more whole foods, not buying the junk and processed crap anymore- yeah, you could say there's been some battles.  I never thought I would get to a point where my husband would thank me for all that I'm doing.  Sure, I knew I would hear less complaining but to actually have him understand and appreciate all the work I'm doing- it's simply an amazing feeling.

So I want you to walk away from this little story with two things.

#1- That saying "I Love You" often is great but telling your spouse what you love about them, is even better.  Hearing them explain what it is about you that they love is just seriously some pretty good stuff.  Not too mention, very love affirming.  Yeah- I just made that up.  Love affirming mmkay...

#2- Hang in there.  My boys fought the good fight when it came to our food and lifestyle changes.  But here we are years later and they are thanking me for all that I'm doing.  They get it.  They really, really get it.

And that's it.  The end.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet is that?! I'm going to start that with my husband. Life gets so mundane and something so simple could accomplish great things in your relationship. Oh and we started easing into the healthier lifestyle - so far, so good. I'm going with the more mainstream things, like swapping white rice for brown and switching to all whole wheat noodles/bread/crackers. Baby steps. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tamsyn! It's amazing that little things like this can make a big difference to your marriage. And best of luck to you with your food journey- you can do this! ;)

      Delete