Saturday, January 11, 2014

Homeschooling- We are Still Learning

We've officially been homeschooling for 5 years now.  Ask any homeschooling parent and they will probably tell you that the process of teaching their children began at birth.  I agree!  However, we "officially" started when William was 3- so almost 6 years ago now. While he did attend a preschool program one morning every week- we spent most our days learning at home.  So you could say that we are pretty much out of the newlywed phase of homeschooling.  We've been doing this long enough that we should have it figured out by now, right?  Wrong.

Don't I wish!

I think where I struggle the most as a homeschooling Mom is maintaining the balance.  I am ever mindful that I have shit to do.  Always.  Dinner's to make, dogs to feed, laundry to fold, dishes to wash, errands to run.  Oh yeah- and lets add in working a Jobby Job, not to be confused with all the work I do at home as a Wife and Mother.

So is it any wonder that Friday night rolls around and all I want to do is make myself an adult beverage, put my slippers on and watch Real Housewives.  By myself.  Alone.

There's one thing that no one really talks about in homeschool land.  The pressure to be all and do all while teaching your child.  The expectations are higher.  People are waiting for you to fail.  If your homeschooled child doesn't act a certain way, know all the answers to EVERYTHING, have perfect manners and excel at sports- then most people view you as a failure.  And let me tell you- they are quick to tell you so.

Another common misconception is that because you homeschooling Moms (or Dads) are home all day, that your house is in pristine condition.  But lets be honest here....it probably looks like every other normal house on your street.  At least I know mine does!  Sometimes my guest bathroom is gross.  I can go weeks without vacuuming.  I hate folding laundry and unloading the dishwasher.  Some days I'm too tired to cook a homemade meal.

  Really- I'm just a normal Mom.  Doing normal Mom things....I just happen to be teaching my child at the same time.

As I said before, it's been 5 years now since we began our homeschooling journey.  Yes, I certainly know more about homeschooling.  And I feel more comfortable in my role of teacher- but I'm still learning.  If you speak to me 10 years down the road, I would probably tell you the very same thing.  It's a learning process and just when you think you've got it all figured out- life throws you a curve ball.

Oh well, guess I need to learn to play baseball now too!


No comments:

Post a Comment