Wednesday, December 10, 2014

We All Hold a Piece of Wonderful

What we have is special, it's wonderful and unique and belongs only to us.  It's the laughter in our children's voices, the strong arms of your husband, the house you make a home, the furry babies who add joy and comfort- its ours.  Our own little piece of wonderful.

The thing with wonderful is that in one second it can all disappear.  Wonderful is fragile and it can be taken from us in an instant.  When this happens, this is when we are tested.  Our marriage is tested, our happiness, our moral compass, our family- all of it, put to the test in that one moment.

I'm not talking about everyday frustrations here, like missing your flight or not getting your Christmas bonus.  I'm talking about events that happen in the blink of an eye, that change everything.  Everything.

My hope for you all is that you'll never have a moment like this, a moment so heartbreaking that it shakes your foundation to its core.

Three years ago, the husband and I had our moment.  It's not something that I talk about often and many people aren't aware of what happened.  To be honest, it's very painful for us and extremely difficult to talk about.  But I feel like it's finally time to share just a bit of it with all of you because it's a huge part of who I am now.  Three years ago, our child was hit by a car.  He was seriously injured, spent several days in the hospital and will have lifelong health issues.  Lifelong.

That's all I'm going to say on the accident portion of things.  This Mama just isn't ready to talk about that day yet.  But I'm sure you can imagine that there is nothing worse then holding your broken baby in your arms and simply not knowing.  It's the not knowing that gets you and if you've ever been through this, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

My purpose in sharing this with you is to offer you hope.  It's coming from someone who has been there.  It's real.

Our child was broken.  My husband was broken.  I was broken.

But here we are, three years later and we have our wonderful back.  In that moment, that split second when everything changes- you wonder if you'll ever get it back.  How can you possibly do this?  Will things ever be right again?

So that day, I had my cry.  Ok- I had more than one cry.  I held my baby.  I wrapped my arms around my husband.  And I decided to fight.  I fought for my child.  I pushed his broken body to heal, I held my husband up when he couldn't, I kept my family together and I said, "We fight".

This will not break us.

Did you hear me Lord?

This.

Will.

NOT.

Break.

Us.

We fight.

Because the truth is, when things like this happen- life and death things, the only choice you have is to fight to get your wonderful back.  Things have a way of becoming crystal clear in moments like this because there is simply nothing else that matters.  No one understands that you are currently in the middle of the fight of your life.  In your world, time has stopped.

You will be tested.  Your husband will be tested.  Your family, your marriage- everything.  All of it is suddenly put on the line.  In one second, everything changes.  One second.  Can your marriage survive this heartbreak?  Can you do this?  Are you woman enough to put your family back together?  What if?  Sweet Lord- the "what if's".  They challenge you in ways you can't even imagine.

But you guys- there is hope.

For those of you currently going through your fight, I have this to say....please keep fighting.  Please.  Because someday your wonderful will come again.  This I promise you.

No comments:

Post a Comment