Friday, November 28, 2014

Decorating for Christmas

Christmas is here!  Christmas is here!

And that means I can FINALLY break out the decor.  Here's the deal- our outside Christmas lights are turned on as soon as we are done eating Thanksgiving dinner.  This is the "official" start to our Christmas season.  On Friday, while the husband is at work- we are busy little elves transforming the inside of the house from Thanksgiving and Fall to all things Christmas.  It takes all afternoon but when we are done- it's magical.  Then, on Saturday, we venture out as a family and pick out our Christmas tree.  By Sunday- we are done and ready to enjoy this wonderful time of year.

Now- over the years, I've spent quite a bit of money and thrown out lots of junk in an effort to make my house look ah-mazing.

Here's a few things that I learned along the way:

  • Choose a couple colors and repeat these in your decorations.  My colors are red and silver, classic Christmas.  They can be found in the florals I use, the garlands, the ornaments on the tree, the signs and plagues, the picture frames and candles.  You get the idea here.  By simply repeating a couple signature colors- it makes your decorations look intentional and adds an elegant touch.
  • Incorporate as many family touches as possible.  I do this by framing pictures of Christmas' past and I have a couple handmade items that are super special.  Our nativity scene is also a hand me down from my Grandma and then my Mom.
  • Select a theme or two.  There's so many trinkets and cute things to buy to decorate your home.  But too much and it will end up looking messy and cluttered.  By simply grouping items together or buying just snowmen or just Santas- it looks cute and kitschy.  You can also build these "groups" or themes in corners of your home.  Gingerbread theme in the kitchen, snowmen by the front window, Santas in the bathroom- you get the idea here.
  • Take your time and buy with intention.  If I could say anything to my 20 year old self- it would be this!  Just because it's on sale, doesn't mean you need to buy it!  Think about the big picture and add just a few key items each year.

Alright, so now you've heard my tips for decorating your home for Christmas so it's time for me to share with you some of my decorations.  Yay!


Let's start with the entry.
Silver glitter "Merry Christmas" sign from Hobby Lobby for only $6.  Red and silver frame with poinsettia's on it, also from Hobby Lobby- this year and bought for $5.  Poinsettia glitter garland from Michael's- many many years old but you can buy similar for about $12 each.

As soon as you come into the house, you see our stairway. 

 I recently upgraded the garland's on the railing and decorated them myself.  If you were to buy these pre-assembled, the cheapest I've seen is $50 per garland.  Since I need three to cover the railing, I did it myself to save money.  I bought two of the 9 foot "pine" garlands from Michael's for $6 total.  Add in 3 of the poinsettia garlands for $12 each, one roll of red ribbon, 10 silver glitter pine cone "sticks" and 6 holly berry "sticks" and one long strand of white lights for a grand total of $45.  Much better then $150!

Next up in the tables and nooks in the living room.
 Holly berry picture frame from Kohl's, $7.  Red glitter picture frame from Hobby Lobby, this season and just $5.  Musical snow globe that was a gift many years ago.

Sign from Hobby Lobby, $10 and coordinating red and white glitter snowflake picture frame, $9.  Antique ceramic Christmas tree with lights- from Ebay several years ago for approximately $20.  I purchased this tree because it reminds me of my Dad's side of the family.  His sisters and Mom all had a similar style tree in their home during the Christmas season.

Black wooden candlesticks from Walmart, $15 for the set.  I bought these several years ago and LOVE them!  They might still have them, I highly recommend!  The red sequin candles are from Michael's and cost about $15 for all three.  Two bunches of fake poinsettia's ($6 each) that I put in a large vase and wrapped with leftover ribbon.  By wrapping the ribbon around the outside of the vase, you cover up the fake stems.  Red and silver picture frame from Hobby Lobby, $7.

Sitting atop my desk in our office area is our nativity scene.
My Aunt made the quilted runner underneath and the nativity itself is a hand me down.  First it belonged to my Grandma and then for awhile my Mom had it.  This was the nativity that I used to set up as a child and now my child does it.  This is what this season is all about, the birth of Christ and creating these perfect traditions and family memories.

Moving into the kitchen for the Gingerbread theme.
Super cute mini tree from Target- I got this on clearance about 8 years ago for just $3!  The stocking ornaments were made by my Aunt and the wooden gingerbread pieces were bought as a set off Ebay for about $10.  The two large gingerbread men were also bought on clearance from Marshall's for $3 each.  That's a total of under $20 for this cute gingerbread theme in my kitchen window.  Sweet!

These next photos are of our dining room which is just off the kitchen.

Let's start with the fireplace/mantel.  Our stockings where handmade by my Grandma, with the exception of the Winnie the Pooh and Dalmatian ones.  Those belong to our beloved Rat Terriers, Lucky Dog and Buddy Boy and were gifts.  On top the mantel is another poinsettia garland from Michael's for $12.  I've added a strand of white lights and some of those scented pine cones.  Red glitter candles and glass hurricanes complete the look.  These were both from Michael's and cost approximately $20 total.

The dining table is up next and features rubber place mats with the words "Let it Snow", I picked these up from Ross for just $4.  A Santa and Snowman salt and peppers shakers from the dollar store, for yep- you guessed it, only $1!  Red votive candles with silver glitter snowflakes, also from Ross for $4.  A white vase that was a gift from the husband, two bunches of fake poinsettia's from Michael's for $6 each, some leftover red and silver ornament balls all sitting atop a white and red linen napkins.  Super cute and easy!
And the last part of the dining room decor is the buffet.  My Mom just made me this adorable silver and gold table runner with red "Merry Christmas" accents.  She also gave me the matching silver snowflake candle.  It goes perfectly with the silver trees I bought from Kohl's several years ago for $15 total.  The wooden red "Believe" is an old purchase- sorry that I can't remember where from.

The kiddo also has his very own Christmas tree in his bedroom.  Sorry about the picture, but he insisted on taking it himself.
I bought the tree from Kohls' clearance for $12.  It's a fake one of course and has what we call "been snow kissed" meaning it has accents of white "snow" on the branches.  It is decorated with plastic candy canes, plastic snowflakes, some Disney ornaments and some that he made himself.

This weekend we will be getting our real Christmas tree and I'll be sure to update this post when it's all up and decorated!
After post edit: Our Christmas tree is up & decorated!
We ALWAYS get a living tree.  You simply can't beat that "Christmas smell"

So far- grand total spent on the inside Christmas decor is approximately $250.  I did this over several years, adding a new item or two each year.  If you shop wisely, it's possible to decorate your home for Christmas on a tight budget.








No comments:

Post a Comment