Thursday, January 15, 2015

An Open Letter To Those Thinking About Homeschooling

Dearest Parents,

Let me first start this letter by saying, that I'm SO glad you're here and you're thinking about this "thing" called homeschooling.  It's scary, it's overwhelming and it's new.  A crazy new frontier is probably the best way to describe it so it's pretty amazing that you're at this point of decision.

So here's the deal.  I'm a homeschooling Mama.  I have officially been a homeschooling Mama for almost 7 years, so I can say with absolute certainty that you can do this because if I can do this, I know anyone can.  Did you hear that?

You.

Can.

Do.

This.

I am not a college graduate.  I don't have a degree in anything, especially a teaching degree.  I am not super duper smart.  But I'm a Mom.  I care about what's best for my child.  I have a desire that NO teacher ever will to see him succeed and develop a life long love of learning.  And that my dear parents is all you need.

But what about all those subjects you can't teach?  What about high school? Oh dear God what about socialization?

Sigh....good questions sure, so let's tackle some of them.

Show me a teacher that can teach every single subject known to man.  Really, let's find one.....ah....but they don't exist.  There is no one person who knows everything and is therefor qualified to teach everything.  So rest assured dear parents, that you can "out source" the difficult subjects.  There's amazing things called tutors, co-ops, classes etc so that it doesn't all rest on your over stressed shoulders.  Whew!  Now that's a relief!

And socialization.  Ah, yes....THE big question that we all hear when it comes to homeschooling.  Let me just tell you that it is proven (it's a fact Jack!) that homeschooled kids are WAY better socialized then their public school peers.  Think about it....public schoolers sit in a classroom all day with kids of their approximate age, exact grade level, maturity level and demographic.  Six plus hours a day, five days per week.  While homeschoolers are typically out in the community and interacting with the elderly, babies and toddlers, folks in different cities and economic levels, their own siblings, family members, other homeschoolers of all ages....really, the list goes on and on.  Now tell me- which form of socialization would you prefer for your child?

Now parents, I'm not going to lie to you.  Homeschooling is hard.  Probably the second hardest job behind being a parent, but can I just tell you that it's also the most rewarding job.  Seriously, it is.  I taught my child to read.  I taught him to write.  I struggled with him through 3 digit subtraction and addition.  I was there when the light bulb went off, I was there for all the questions, I was there to facilitate the learning.  Me.  And that my dear parents, you simply can't put a price on.

So for all of you struggling with this decision, let me just say this again.

You.

Can.

Do.

This.

Really, you can.  Don't be afraid to  make that leap.  Trust your gut and follow your heart because there is truly nothing better then teaching your children.  I promise that you won't ever regret it.

Sincerely,

The Homeschooled Housewife

1 comment: