Friday, April 18, 2014

Mom- I Know You're the Easter Bunny

Oh shit.

The time has come- can the childhood magic of believing in the Easter Bunny really be over?  So I did what any halfway crazy Mom would do in this situation, I turned it around.

"And what makes you think that?"  I asked.  Bwahahaha, take that Easter Bunny!

Mom, it's just not possible.  A bunny the same size as Dad?  I just don't see how that could be real.

"Hmm....well, you do have a point there.  But what about this summer when you were convinced you saw Bigfoot at Mt. St. Helens?  Bigfoot is just like the Easter Bunny.  Many people believe in him and have claimed to have seen him but no one really knows for sure if he exists."

And then it got really quiet.

You might be right Mom.  Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it's not real.

"Exactly.  And sometimes, things exist only in your heart or in your imagination.  If you believe in them, then they are real."

Ok.

And just like that, the conversation was over.

Yes, I fully realize we are approaching that age when the kiddo will know longer believe- he is 9 years old after all.  Trust me, I get it.  But is it SO wrong for me to want him to hold onto that childhood magic and excitement just a little bit longer?  And you tell me- do things NOT exist because you can't see them, feel them, hear them etc?  Of course not!  I've never held a million dollars but I know it's real.  I've never seen Santa coming down my chimney but I know that the childhood excitement of him exists.  I've never been to Hawaii but I know it's there.  And let's not forget about Jesus.  Perhaps THE BEST example of them all.  We see him in everything- our children, the flowers in the spring, mercy and forgiveness of our sins.  We feel him in the sun upon our face, the ocean and sand upon our feet.  We hear him in the whispers calling in the wind and the tiny little voices from our children.  We speak to him in churches and through prayer.  He is real.

So yes- I will continue to teach my child to believe in things that are not concrete.  To trust in faith, in magic and in his imagination.  The world would be a sad place otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment