Friday, April 4, 2014

I'm Offended

I've put myself and my family "out there".  We are now officially in the public eye.  Ok, not really but we are to a certain extent, right?  We are certainly not The Duggar Family or Brad Pitt and Angelia Jolie.  But once you start a blog and create a brand that talks about your life and your family, you're officially "out there".

For the most part, this doesn't bother me.  I want to share my journey with others and I enjoy talking about my family and our story.  But here's where it gets just a little frustrating- we are human.  I am human.  I am not perfect.  I'm not throwing myself out there as a role model or someone to look up to.  I'm simply being me.  We are living our life the best we can and this is what I want to encourage others to do.

Recently I had a few folks get offended because I allowed my son to say "the President has dung for brains".  Well, I'm sorry- but he does.  Listen- folks will find anything to get offended over. And just because you say that you're offended, doesn't mean that you're right.  It simply means, that's your opinion.

For the most part, I'm very careful in what I post on my Facebook page.  I tend to stay away from political and religious topics because those are hotbeds for many people.  And really- that's not what Homeschooled Housewife is about.  But the reality is this- this is my page and my blog.  I can post, share, write about, discuss whatever the heck I want to.

Do I want you here?  Of course I do.  Do I want to share with you?  Of course I do.  Do I want to offend or upset you?  Of course not.

Listen, I could post a simple statement and someone, somewhere would be offended by it.  The internet practically guarantees that this will happen.  Let's try this one on for size.

"Man, I wish that black cat that keeps wondering around my front yard would stop shitting all over my lawn."

Someone might say-

  • How come you don't like cats?  That's discrimination.
  • You noticed the color of the cat pretty quickly.  You must be racist.
  • How dare you say the word shit!  
  • I hope your son didn't hear you say that swear word.  If so, you're a bad Mom.
  • Why don't you go outside and help that cat?  How could you be so uncaring?
  • A Christian woman wouldn't care if a cat shit on her lawn.  You must be a bad Christian.
  • You're a bad person for getting so upset over a cat.
  • I've lost all respect for you because you said this.
  • You're teaching your son not to care about cats- how could you!

Pretty silly, eh?

So here's my advice to everyone who follows a page or a person.  Please remember that they are people too.  If they are opening up their lives to share just a glimpse with you and if you mostly enjoy what they are sharing- then just relax.  We are all different.  We will not always agree 100% of the time with everything that everyone says.  That's just life.  And to be honest, that's what makes it so interesting.  And if you are so bothered by something, simply click the "unlike" button.  Easy as that.

After reading this post, I hope you'll walk away with this-

  • I'm so glad you're here.
  • I appreciate you.
  • I listen to your comments and feedback.
  • I do my best to be respectful and considerate of others.
  • I am not perfect.
  • I will make mistakes.

So let's all just take a deep breath and relax.

*BTW- there is NOT a black cat that shits on my lawn, it was simply an example.  I like cats.  No cats were harmed in the writing of this post. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment