Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cheese Sandwich

When William was just a little guy, we would always make what we called, "Cheese Sandwiches".

Basically, whenever the kiddo saw Mommy and Daddy hugging (which was often) he would squish in and scream, "Cheese".  And we would all hug and then the husband and I would smoosh him between us- ie. smoosh the cheese.  This would always end with giggling and laughing and usually Lucky Dog would start barking.

This used to happen all the time.

Then William got older and he forgot about it.  Seriously, it's been years and I had thought he probably didn't even remember.  You know how it is....as you get older, you forget about all that stuff you used to do.  Especially when you were just a little guy.

Then this morning something pretty sweet and unexpected happened.

The husband and I were kissing and hugging goodbye, as we always do each morning, when William yelled "Cheese!"

Oh.  My.  God.

He remembered.  I can't believe my baby remembered.

And so this morning, we did something we haven't done in years.  We made a William Cheese Sandwich and it was the best sandwich any Mom could have.

What a beautiful reminder for me that our children remember what we do.  They remember even the little things and it becomes a part of who they are.  Something as simple as making a Cheese Sandwich, can have a profound impact on who your child will become.

This morning I was encouraged to keep doing the little things.  To be the silly Mom, to laugh, to giggle, to squish and play and most importantly, to be affectionate with my child.  Thanks Kid- I needed that.

Here's to more Cheese Sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment