Thursday, April 17, 2014

Children Have Rights Too!

We parent differently.  This I realize.  I don't think we do anything out of the "norm" but when compared to other kids, it becomes obvious.  William is different.  We, as parents, are different.  We have always taught William to be honest, exercise kindness and to be strong in who he is.  

The other day, I posted on my Facebook page, a great snippet of a conversation between William and a friend who attends a local public school.  The were discussing one of the teacher's at the friend's school.  Below is a great example of just how different William's mindset is- especially when it comes to sticking up for himself and for his rights.

Friend- She's the meanest teacher & says bad things to all the kids. 

Kiddo- Why does she do that?

Friend- I don't know, just does. 

Kiddo- So tell the Principle. 

Friend- Why would I do that?

Kiddo- Because she has no right to do that.

Friend- But she's an adult. 

Kiddo- So? No one should be mean to you. You're supposed to say something even when it's a grown up or a teacher.


Teaching your children about their rights is just as important as teaching them about math or science. I think many parents are missing out on teaching a valuable lesson, children have rights too.  More and more, I am finding that children simply don't know that they do not have to accept things as they are, that they can question authority (in a respectful way!) and that they have rights, just like adults do.  Would you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment