Thursday, May 15, 2014

I Have a Confession to Make

 I'm almost 33 years old and I'm obsessed with the color pink.

My obsession has reached unnatural levels as evidenced by my closet.  I have 4 colors- well, 3 shades and one color to be exact.  They are White, Black, Grey and Pink.  Seriously.  If it's not that color, then I don't buy it and it's not in my closet.  The only exception to this is denim- I do have blue jeans and of course a jean jacket.  However, my shoes and purses are all in these colors.  And while I'm spilling my guts here, I should probably tell you that I always paint my nails pink and even my travel coffee mug is pink.  Yep, it's official- I'm crazy for pink.
A peek at my closet.  Yes, it's true,
I really do only have 4 colors!

This is a little insane, right?  But listen close- there's some sort of genius behind all this madness.  It started when I was working for a very upscale furniture company.  I was expected to dress the part and I dropped a fortune on clothes.  Most of which I outgrew as soon as I stopped working there.  Boo!  So I found myself having to rebuild my wardrobe on the limited funds of a now stay at home Mom.  That meant that I simply couldn't afford as many clothes and I had to really be able to mix & match my clothing pieces.  So I started with just the basics.  Plain white t-shirts, tank tops, good jeans, black skirt- you get the idea.  And since my favorite color has always been pink and it's the color that looks the best on me and I wear most often, I just decided to buy all the non-basics in pink.  That way I could very easily mix & match just about every single item in my wardrobe.  And now- 8 years later, it's all I wear.  As I sit here typing, I'm wearing a black maxi skirt, white t-shirt and cropped denim jean jacket.  Perfection.

So I took this same philosophy and applied it to my home decor.  Now as much as I would love love love to do a very girly pink home... OOOHH...I can see it now, my favorite retro 1960's era furniture and lots of pink everywhere....my husband would NOT be appreciative.  That's why I choose a very neutral brown for the walls.  I think it looks like coffee with cream and it beautifully compliments all the black furniture.  I do have a few natural greens and some colorful table linens to mix things up a bit.  But for the most part, my house is furnished and decorated in brown, white and black.  Ah- how I do love the color black.  I think it's a very simple & classic design.

Want to know the best part?  This crazy genius idea keeps me from buying too much stuff.  Let's say I see a sweater I love but it has shades of blue & purple.  I would simply not buy it because it's not one of my four designated colors.  And best of all, I know that I don't really have anything to mix & match it with in my closet.  So it's a no go.  Same principal goes for something for my house.  How about a beautiful red vase?  Purple candles?  Yellow striped throw pillows?  Sorry, pass.  It would simply not go with anything I have in my home.

Makes sense right?  I know it's a little OCD but to be perfectly honest- that fits my personality.  I like things to be a certain way.  I like things to match and blend well together.  Plus, I'm frugal- so this helps me stay on track budget wise.

And here's the best part- after incorporating my favorite color into my wardrobe, it's become my signature color.  I never would have thought that I would be that person...you know, the one who has a signature color.  But I am and I do and it works.

I love pink and pink loves me.

2 comments:

  1. I am kind of like this. My main colors are black, white, grey, pink, and blue. I love to wear dark blue because it suits my blue eyes very well. I have a few other articles of clothing in other colors, but I don't wear them as often because I just love the colors I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Katie- makes it super easy to get dressed, right? ;)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete