Monday, July 1, 2013

It's Meatless Monday! Lentil Chili Time!

That's right folks- it's Meatless Monday up in this hizzouse!!  Hmm...is that even how you spell it? Clearly I am lacking in the slang department.  But you all understand what I'm laying down for you, right?  It's Monday.  It's Meatless.  It's Meatless Monday!

Years ago we started our journey to better eating, by simply making Monday's meatless.  This has evolved into a mostly vegetarian diet for the Homeschooled Housewife- much to my husband's irritation.  Oh well- you'll live longer to gripe at me.  Get over it.

For those of you considering going meatless- may I suggest you start with lentils?  If you've got a meat & potatoes loving husband like I do- lentils are a very good substitute.  I've even made lentil meatloaf & he had no idea there wasn't any meat in it.  No Idea!  Now that's amazing.  Lentils- you get my vote!  So let's start with lentils then, shall we.  One of my all time favorite recipes is Lentil Chili.  It's easy, filling, tastes good, cheap to make & can easily be frozen.  All the things I love out of a recipe!

The original recipe can be found by clicking here, although my altered version is much better.  So why bother?

Here's my recipe for Lentil Chili-
Almost done! 

6 cups chicken or veggie broth
2 1/2 cups rinsed lentils (not cooked)
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 32 oz can diced tomatoes
3 15 oz cans kidney beans
1/2 small can diced green chilis
1 large onion, cut up
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 1/2-3 teaspoons cumin
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
splash tabasco

Basically you dump all of the ingredients but 1 can of kidney beans & lentils into a large pot & bring to a boil.  Then turn down to low- no reason to scald the poor pot. Once you've boiled it long enough, get out your immersion blender.  Your what?  Immersion blender- you need one, trust me.  Click here to see what mine looks like.  Ok- so now you've whipped out your immersion blender- so blend baby, blend!  I like to leave a few chunks for texture & the hubby says he likes to see what he's eating.  Bwahhaha- like he has a clue!

Now add your leftover can of kidney beans & the lentils to the pot. Cook this on low for at least an hour- the longer, the better.  You may want to adjust the seasonings depending on your spice tolerance.  I'm a wimp, so we keep it light. You can totally add some green peppers, garlic, other types of beans, carrots, etc- this recipe is so easily adaptable.  However, it's one of my go-to "easy meals".  You know the ones folks- you dump & run.  So really, the less prep work, the better!

Lentil Chili-serve w/cheese & sour cream.
And there you have it.  Lentil Chili.  I serve it with a little shredded cheddar cheese & a scoop of sour cream.  I also use only organic ingredients because well....it's just better for you.  Look up GMO's.  Better yet, read my post the March against Monsanto- GMO's if you are scratching your head in confusion.

Now- if you're a step ahead, like I pretend to be sometimes- you'll double this batch & freeze half.  My tip for freezing meals is to put it in the fridge overnight, then in the morning, fill up a large storage sized ziploc bag & label, label, label.  For goodness sakes- label it!  You'll thank me later.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment