Sunday, November 1, 2015

Ugh. Soccer Moms.



Let me first preface this post by saying that I am a Soccer Mom.  Technically.  

The kiddo has been playing soccer for 7 years now and for the last 2 years, we do almost year round soccer.  We take a break around Christmas time for about a month and then again in June and July- but that's it.  Soccer is clearly a big part of our lives.

In these past 7 years- I have seen quite a bit of "Soccer Mom" craziness.  Unbelievable stuff really....recently we had one Mom walk by the husband and I at a game and do the old, "scratch an itch on my face with my middle finger" routine.  Which we all know means they are passive aggressively flipping you off.  And then, as soon as I walked to the car- she bumped up next to the husband and started flirting with him.  WHAT?!?

But this last one really takes the cake.  Let's discuss details folks because it's gonna be good!

Snack schedule.  Ah- nothing is more coveted then the stupid snack schedule.  Kids get excited about it being their turn to bring snacks. the snacks have to be "cool" and full of junk, sign up sheets, reminders, harassment....ah yes, snacks.

Our team has always done the snack schedule online on our team website.  Yes, we have a website.  So I waited a few weeks to give the other Moms time to sign up and then logged on the website and picked a day.  The kiddo always likes to bring snacks as close to Halloween as possible and so this is the date that I usually sign up for.  This year was no exception- October 31st, our turn to bring snacks.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I'm literally rushed by two of the Soccer Moms while at team picture day, who are all up in arms over the fact that I signed up to bring snacks on Halloween.  Apparently some of the new team Moms didn't know how to log on to the team website and sign up so they took it upon themselves to change the way we've done things for the last 5 years and distributed a paper sign up sheet.  Ok- no biggie.  Problem was that I wasn't at any of the first several games so I didn't see the actual paper sign up sheet.

Can you guess what happened next?

If you guessed that another Mom had already signed up for Halloween snacks- DING DING DING!  WE HAVE A WINNER.

So....being the gracious person that I am, I offered to bring snacks another day.  Sure, we had signed up first and done so the "correct" way via the team website and yes, the kiddo would be disappointed over not bringing Halloween themed snacks, but it simply wasn't worth an argument.  And truly- snacks are snacks mmkay...what do I care what day I bring them on?

I offered to switch days.  Other Soccer Mom declined.

Ugh.

She then stated that she had already bought some Halloween pencils for the kids and said she'd just hand those out to them in addition to the snacks we brought.  Great!  Problem solved.  Or was it?

As we got closer to the Halloween game day, Other Soccer Mom must have asked me 3 or  4 times if I was still bringing the snacks on Halloween.  It was during the last practice before the game that she let it drop that she was bringing full on goody bags.  GOODY BAGS.

Say what?!?

Our snack for game day.
So I then casually mentioned that I typically do a "goody bag" for our snack days and that I already had the goody bags covered.  It was our turn after all....and I had offered weeks ago to switch with her.

What happened next can only be described as "in very poor taste" as this Other Soccer Mom attempted to "one up" me on the Halloween snack day front.  Seriously- what grown women does this?!?

A Soccer Mom, that's who.

She lived up to her promise of full on goody bags.  Not only did they contain lots of candy and junk but there were also plastic fangs, a glow in the dark bat, the promised Halloween pencil, a skull eraser and more.  While I think this is AWESOME and a sweet thing to do for our boys for Halloween, I seriously wished she would have just told me she really wanted Halloween snack day.

The kids did not need both "snacks" and Other Soccer Mom had already had her turn.  The kiddo walked away from the field yesterday disappointed that his teammates were of course more interested in her plastic toys from China and little boxes of Nerds then they were about the snack he helped pick out.

It was just tacky.

So to all my fellow soccer Moms out there- when it comes to the freakin' snack schedule- if you REALLY want a particular day, then just say that.  If you plan on bringing goody bags full of junk on a day that another Mom has already signed up- DON'T.  Please take a moment to think about how this will make their kid feel.  Bringing snacks is a big part of soccer and game day for the younger kids and they enjoy being the kid who gets to hand out snacks that day.

And to the Other Soccer Mom from our team- I'm sure you didn't intend to step on any toes and hurt my child's feelings, but you totally did.  You seem to be a very nice woman and I understand you were simply trying to do something fun for our boys.  But next time, step back a moment and evaluate.  If you want a certain day, say it.  Truly, it would have been no big deal to switch days with you as I had offered.  It's only snacks.

Soccer Moms.

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment