Saturday, November 7, 2015

10 Alternatives to the Flu Shot

Let me preface by saying that up until about six years ago, my family got the flu shot.  Every single year I dragged the husband and kiddo to the clinic so we could get poked with this magical concoction that would hopefully keep us from getting ill.

Oh how far we've come in just six short years.

The reasons why we no longer get a flu shot are pretty easy.  This post is NOT a debate on the science behind flu shots and vaccines- it's just about my family's personal journey and what we are doing now that works.  With that being said, the reasons are really very simple.  Every year that we got the flu shot, the husband and I got the flu.  Every.  Single.  Year.  With each year being worse than the last.  In addition to this, we desired a more natural way to keep the dreaded cold and flu season away- especially with the knowledge that the flu shot was not personally working for either of us.  Add in the conflict in our hearts about putting our child through this and we knew we had to find a better way.

In the last 5+ years, neither one of us has been sick.  In addition, the kiddo has NEVER had the flu.  You guys, he's 10 years old and HE HAS NEVER HAD THE FLU.  He's also never experienced a real, full blown cold.  He's had some minor sniffles that go away in a day and a little sore throat after one of his friend's came down with the chicken pox but a real cold- nope.  So let's just think on that a moment yeah?

Now I bet you're thinking- "well crap, how can I do this too?"  You know I'm going to share ALL my secrets with you!  Of course I am!


#1- Elderberry.  Dude it's all about the elderberry during the flu and cold season.  Because I simply don't have time to mix up my own batch of elderberry syrup, we take this in a supplement form.  Much easier that way for this busy Mama!  The kiddo has an organic syrup and the husband and I take it in pill form.  You can order off Amazon or online or perhaps find it in your local health foods store but do try to find organic and good quality if you can!

#2- Diet.  I can't say this enough- stop eating crap if you want to stop feeling like crap!  What you eat has a direct impact on how you feel.  So focus on whole, plant based foods with lots of fruits and veggies- organic if you can afford it.  Start cooking real meals at home and limit the processed junk and fast food.  It really is that easy.  Food can literally heal your body.  It can heal it!!!  Psst- there's tons of recipes here on the blog to help you get started!

#3- Sleep.  Most nights we try to get 8 hours of sleep and have the kiddo sleep for 10 hours.  Some nights I work and this just isn't possible but boy- can I feel the difference in my body when I haven't had a good night's sleep.  Make it a priority.  Do some restful type activities before bed like taking a lavender bath, reading a book, having a cocktail (yeah, that's me!) and turn off the electronics.  You'll be amazed at how fast you fall asleep!

#4- Essential Oils.  These are relatively new to our routine in just the last couple of years but I've already noticed a big difference.  During the day I'll have thieves and orange oil in the diffuser, at night I like a little lavender and eucalyptus.  You can also create a paste much like Vicks Vapo Rub and put it directly on your chest and feet.  There's so many wonderful oils that you can use to help relieve congestion, help with a sore throat, if you need to de-stress or get more rest and on and on the list goes!
$50-60 for the starter kit on Amazon!

#5- Detox Bath.  We all take a detox bath at least once per week.  The formula is actually very simple- equal parts Epsom Salts and baking soda combined with your essential oil of choice.  Which oil I put in has a lot to do with how my body is feeling.  If I'm sore and achy, I use my Muscle Relief oil.  If I feel a sore throat or congestion coming on, I use oregano and eucalyptus  and if I want a relaxing detox bath I'll put in a little lavender.  Mix it up according to your body's needs.

#6- Honey, Lemon & Ginger Tea.  We simply adore this tea...well, the husband not as much but he still drinks it.  Here's a previous post on instructions to make this tea at home and all it's wonderful healing properties.  It's very easy and tastes great!

#7- Kombucha.  We all drink at least one bottle per week.  We prefer GT's brand and it MUST be organic and it MUST be raw.  You can also drink some of this if you're simply not feeling well in general and I guarantee you in less than 2 hours you'll start to feel better!  It works for stomach upset, diarrhea, the gurgles, mild nausea, cramps- really, it's just a miracle in a bottle! I highly recommend you start with drinking half a bottle (this is strong stuff mmkay!) and then following up with the remaining half bottle.  Your body will need time to adjust to this powerful goodness!

#8- Zinc Lozenges.  I just found these and I have to say that I'm super impressed!  I mentioned previously about the chicken pox- well let me just tell you, there was quite the outbreak last month at the kiddo's homeschool program.  Many of his friends became ill and the kiddo started complaining of a pretty awful sore throat.  We combined these lozenges with some essential oils and he was 100% improved in less than 2 days.  The sore throat symptoms never gained ground while all his friends were home sick.  Love it!


#9- Apple Cider Vinegar.  I've posted several times about this wonderful stuff but the truth is that it has really helped the husband most of all.  If you suffer from seasonal allergies and sinus issues, you NEED to be drinking some ACV on the regular.  Two tablespoons in a cup of water every morning before breakfast will do the trick!  No lie- it doesn't taste fabulous but it works.  You can read more about it here.
This is the only kind you should be drinking!

#10- Common sense.  Well yeah, I felt that I should probably put this down here as well because we really use the good ole common sense when it comes to cold and flu season.  Simply put- if you are going to a large venue where lots of people will be, make sure you're taking proper precautions, like washing your hands!  If you are starting to feel ill, stay home!  If you hear that someone has just gotten over the flu, for the love of God do NOT give them a hug.  Don't be worried about offending them or hurting someone's feelings- just simply explain to them that you would love to "greet" them properly but that you would rather not get sick.  Yeah- common sense is good y'all.


Want to read more?




No comments:

Post a Comment