Monday, June 30, 2014

You're Not Christian Enough to Homeschool

Am I a Christian?

That's a question that I get asked quite a bit.  The short answer is Yes.  The long answer is a bit more complicated.

I grew up in a small, traditional Presbyterian church.  I was baptized and then years later, I was confirmed in this church.  We had BBQ's on the church lawn in the summer, went on small mission trips to help those in our immediate community, I participated in youth groups and helped teach Vacation Bible School.  It was simply- the very best experience and a huge part of why I am the person that I am today.  This church was my foundation.

When I moved away to college, I was suddenly without this strong support system.  So naturally, I looked to other churches.  My college dorm roommate participated in Campus Christian Fellowship, so I decided to tag along.  It was alright.  I then attended Sunday services at that same church and it can only be described as a "production".  This wasn't my idea of church, this was a show.  There were people dancing in the aisles with those sticks with ribbons on them, a huge band up on the stage- yeah...the stage, people screaming from their seats.  It was nuts.  And before you blast me- yes, I know that for some people, this is church.  But for me, I was not comfortable here.

Since I've moved back home, married and had a child, I have struggled to find this same sense of community that I grew up with.  Church's nowadays have become a business instead of a family and so it becomes difficult to find one where you can feel at home.  I don't need a flashy salesman on the pulpit convincing me that God is good.  I know He is- that's why I'm here.  I need a real person who talks about a real God.

A few years ago, we decided to try a Lutheran church down the street from our new house.  It was smaller in size and seemed to have a good mix of ages.  And I didn't realize it at the time, but my Dad built the large crosses that sit outside their building.  Unfortunately, just as we started attending this church, their entire parking lot was torn down, major fundraising began, an apartment building was put in next door and they hired a new Minister.  Yikes!  That's a lot of changes for a church!  So we stepped away for a bit.  I'm hoping to go back again this summer and give them an honest try.  We are still looking for our foundation after all.

Alright- so now you know my story.  Yes, I am most definitely a Christian.  My family is Christian.  However, we do not regularly attend church and we follow more of a secular curriculum.

In the homeschooling world, this makes our family just a little bit different.  Religion is a HUGE part of homeschooling.  And of course one of the main reasons that many families decide to homeschool.  So I battle the inevitable "are you a Christian?" and "how come you don't go to church?" questions on the regular.  I also receive a bit of backlash because of this.  Would you believe that I've had some families turn away from us and not pursue friendships solely based on the fact that we don't go to church every Sunday?  And several have commented that we need to have a religious based curriculum because we are, after all, homeschoolers.  So yeah- I get it.

Ah- but there's the irony of the whole thing....if you're truly a Christian, you wouldn't care that I don't attend church every Sunday.  And you certainly wouldn't dare to think I'm not Christian enough to be a part of your homeschooling world.  So alas- we are at an impasse.  For my family, how we choose to homeschool and why we choose to homeschool has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with making the right choice for our family.  Religion simply doesn't play a part in this decision because no matter if we homeschooled or our child went to public school, we would still be Christians.

I don't believe that you need to go to church every Sunday to be considered a Christian.  And to be honest with you, I've met some folks who are super duper religious and I would not consider their actions and behaviors to be that of a Christian.  Just because you call yourself one, doesn't make you one.  And doing things in "the name of Christianity" doesn't always make it the right thing.  Standing in a garage doesn't make you a car any more then standing in a church makes you a Christian.  It's about what's in your heart, not about impressing others.


So my answer to this question- "are you Christian enough to homeschool?" is Yes!  Yes, yes, yes!  I am Christian enough to understand that we should accept people the way they are, raise them up and encourage them. I am Christian enough to know that not everyone will have the same beliefs and values and that that is ok.  I am Christian enough to understand that some families will make religion the focus of their homeschooling, while others never will.  Let's support one another as we all navigate the highs and lows of homeschooling.

Are you Christian enough?


No comments:

Post a Comment