Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Packing Lunch

One of my duties as a Traditional Wife is to pack my husband's lunch each day for work.  And if I don't pack it- he won't eat.  So you best believe that I make sure he has a lunch each day.

He has a few requirements that need to be met from his lunch.  Most importantly, is something that he can eat easily.  It can't be messy, can't require a fork or spoon and he would prefer it to be something he can hold in one hand while multi tasking with the other hand.  Since he doesn't typically stop and take a lunch break, he needs to be able to eat it on the go.  Usually while he's in his work van driving to his next job.  So that also means, it can't be something that needs to be heated up in order to eat.

The other issue we battle is our diet.  If you follow my blog at all, you know that we eat a pretty clean diet.  Mainly organic and non GMO, there's pretty much NO processed foods in our house.  So yeah, this can make packing a lunch just a little tricky.  As a result of our diet, we simply can't stop at most fast food places because they make us sick.  Every so often we do splurge and unfortunately, if the husband has been at work for 18 hours and already burned through his lunch 10 hours previously- he will have to stop at the drive thru.  But we try to limit this as much as possible.

Alright- so we've discussed the restrictions.  It must be easy to eat, can't require a microwave, organic, non GMO and of course it must satisfy my picky husband.  So let's talk about what I do pack.  Yay!  This is the fun part!

I always start with the fresh foods.  This means fruit and veggies.  The husband is a big fan of Fuji apples that I cut into slices, grapes pulled off the vine and ready to eat, orange slices, carrots that I've cut into sticks or celery with peanut butter- all organic of course.  I do everything I can to make it easier for the husband to simply grab and go.  I will also make a smoothie or if I don't have time to blend away, I will send him with a Kombucha.
Grape Chia- the husband's favorite!
.

My advice- load up on the fresh stuff first.  And with my boys, when in doubt- pack them more!  Both the husband and the kiddo LOVE their fruit and veggies.  In fact, they both usually eat it first!

Pizza for lunch!
Now- because my husband is a picky eater, I can't pack foods that are "different".  So the main portion of the lunch consists of things that are pretty standard.  Sandwiches, pizza, sometimes hot dogs or cheese and crackers.  But really- it's all pretty tame.  However- I do make sure that I'm buying REAL foods.  For example, when I make him a roast beef sandwich, I buy organic deli meat.  Add in GMO free cheddar and organic sandwich bread and you have a MUCH better alternative for your favorite sandwich!  Even pizza has had a makeover.  I either make it from scratch or buy organic frozen pizza that I've heated up in the oven, then cut up and wrapped in foil.

Occasionally I will pack chips.  However, even the chips have seen a face lift in the last couple years.  Where once we used to be huge fans of Cheetos, ah yes...Cheetos....now I buy Late July brand organic chips.  Folks, can I just tell you how amaze-balls these chips are!?!  SO good!  But what is not so good is the price!  Eek!  And just in case you're interested, Late July also has other yummy organic snack foods- perfect for lunches!  I've also been known to put air popped popcorn (that I popped at home) in his lunch or even some of the kiddo's favorite Annie's Cheddar Bunnies in there.  This is about as processed as it gets.

The husband uses this adorable robot lunch bag
from Pack It
And what would a lunch be without something sweet?  I almost always have a home baked goodie to add.  This week it's super large chocolate chip cookies.  Last week it was pumpkin bread that I took out of the freezer.

Finally- what would a home packed lunch be without a super cute lunch bag?  Oh be still my little OCD heart!  How I do love bags, totes, boxes and anything used to organize!  For the husband's lunch, I use this lunch bag from Pack It.  Since he doesn't have a refrigerator and his lunch stays in his work van all day- I need to make sure it stays cold all day long.  Even in 100 degree weather!  So I found these
bags at my local Marshall's discount store.  But I know that Target also carries them and of course you can check online.  Not only are they super cute but they have freezable gel lining that keeps the husband's lunch cool all day!

Well....we've reached the end.  Have you been inspired to make some healthier changes to your packed lunch?  Or perhaps even been inspired to start packing a lunch?  My advice is to keep in mind your restrictions and then work on finding healthier alternatives.  It can be done- good luck to you!

Look for these brands when shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment