Friday, June 6, 2014

We Are Making the Right Choice

"It was a good year here Mom" and with that one sentence, I knew we were making the right choice.

Listen- I think we all question our decisions at some point.  We wouldn't be human if we didn't, right?  And making the decision to homeschool is perhaps one of THE biggest choices you will ever make for your family.  Seriously- this one choice will impact every thing your child will do in their future and ultimately shape who they will become.  It's a big one.  So is it any wonder that you question it?  Of course not!

I'm no different.  For the first few years, my husband and I were constantly wondering if we were making the right choice.  It can be especially difficult in the first year or two- you're just getting the hang of it, you really have no clue what you're doing and everyone you know is questioning your "crazy" choice too!  Trust me, I get it.  But a funny thing happens as time goes on....you stop questioning it as much.  You begin to relax and you feel confident in your choices.  And then a moment happens and you simply know- without a shadow of a doubt- yes, we made the right choice.

For me, that moment came yesterday.  We were at the kiddo's homeschool program, Edmonds Heights, for Field Day.  There was music, bouncy houses, cotton candy, carnival games, popcorn, face painting, tie dye, Frisbee, dancing and more.  Seriously- way better then any Field Day I ever had!  The kiddo was running around with friends- playing, laughing and having a great time.  Families spread out blankets on the lawn for picnics, babies were toddling around, Mom's were talking and sharing with each other- it was truly a peaceful and happy atmosphere.  At the end of the day, the kiddo was helping me pick up our picnic lunch and was looking through his yearbook.  He looked up at me, smiled and said- "It was a good year here Mom."

And that- that I will NEVER forget.

My child is happy.  He's comfortable and secure with his place in our little homeschooling world.  He's learning, making lifelong friends and growing up in a supportive community of like minded educators and families.  It's pretty darn amazing when I think about it.  I'm so very thankful that we made the decision all those years ago- to go against the "norm" and choose to homeschool.  Because when I look around me and see the possibilities, the world that exists for my child- I know that I've made the right choice.

So I want to encourage all of you- especially if you are just starting out on your homeschooling journey.  You will have doubts, you will question your choices- but hang in there.  Because someday, you'll get your "moment" too and it will be priceless.  Just you wait....you'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment