Thursday, June 12, 2014

Regrets

Do I regret being a housewife?  A Mother?  Do I regret staying home?

Umm...no.  The answer is no, I do not regret any of my choices.

I don't believe in having regrets.  They are simply not a part of my vocabulary.  If I ever feel like I'm doing something that I may regret later or wish I had done differently, then I simply change it.  This way I don't have to look back upon those choices with regret.  Seems easy enough right?

Years ago, when the kiddo was about a year old, I found myself stuck.  I had just started working this fabulous job- good pay, nice corner office with a window, travel....you get the picture.  And yet, every single day I would look out my 13th floor office window at the people down below and wish I was out there.  With my child.  Instead of being stuck in there.

So you know what I did....I quit.

Easy as that.  If something is not working in your life, change it.

Pretty crazy idea huh?  But the reality is this- you have one life to live.  So live it.  The way you want to live it and don't waste it looking back wishing you had done something differently.

Yes- quitting my job was a major step.  Of course I was anxious about this choice but I knew that I couldn't continue to struggle day in and day out.  I couldn't keep dragging my behind out of bed at 4am, not seeing my baby until 3pm every day.  I wanted to be home, playing outside in the sandbox, going for walks, taking the kiddo to story time at the library- I wanted this.  And for me, it was worth making some drastic changes so that my husband and I could afford this life change.

I won't say that we haven't struggled.  But what I will tell you is that by simply making this one choice, by following my heart instead of my head- it has led us to make many other life choices.  I probably wouldn't have become so obsessed with eating healthy.  We probably would have continued eating meat because I wouldn't have taken the time away from my child to worry about this.  And we definitely would NOT have even considered homeschooling.  Homeschooling with 2 working parents- yeah...I wouldn't have even thought that possible.  And yes, I know many of you do- so Kuddos!  But I'm simply not sure if this would have been something I could see myself doing.

It's strange how by making just one choice, it's led me to the life I'm currently living.  I'm happy.  And I don't for one minute wish that I had stayed in that high rise surrounded by my fellow employees, talking about our children and showing their pictures.  I see my child, in person.  Every day, all day.  Not in a photograph.  And you can't put a price on that.

So no- I don't have any regrets.  Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment