Saturday, May 10, 2014

Never Get Sick Again!

Winter is finally over and the flowers are starting bloom.  Spring is officially here!  This also brings an end to the cold and flu season- Yay!

How did your family survive?

My family?  Well...we did even better this year then we've done in the past.  Not one single person in my family was ill.  No colds.  No flu.  No sickness- none.  Now that's pretty awesome if you ask me!  And since I've had several fellow homeschooling Momma's at the kiddo's program ask me how we've managed this- I thought perhaps this information might be useful to you.

It's important to note that the kiddo has gotten a tiny, very mild case of the sniffles once or twice this season.  It usually lasted for less then a day, we treated it with holistic care and less then 24 hours later, it was gone.  I have also had a few days where I wasn't feeling 100%.  However, this has more to do with being a tired, overworked homeschooling Momma then getting a cold or flu.  With rest, I was fine.  My husband has also had a nasty sinus infection- however, where he once used to get several throughout the cold/flu season- this year it was just the one.

So yes- we do still occasionally not feel our best.  However, in the last 3 years we have not had a cold or the flu.  This is also about the time we totally overhauled our diet and I strongly believe that this is no coincidence. My son has never really experienced the flu or a true, long lasting cold.  He has also never had an ear infection.  Can you believe that?!?  Crazy right!  He is extremely healthy and my husband and I have made steps to be equally as healthy as our child.  I'm going to share with you how we do it- here goes!

  • Food.  Yep, it ALL comes down to your diet.  If you put crap into your body, you will feel like crap.  You will get rundown, your immune system will be compromised and this will open you up for sickness.
My recommendations are to eat an organic, plant based diet as much as you can.  And when you are starting to not feel well- heal your body with food first.  Say what?!?  I know right?  You can cure your illness through food.  Now that's amazing!

It's no secret that we love the power of a Green Smoothie.  It's the perfect combination of anti-inflammatory and energy boosting goodness to get your body back to health.  It also helps to detox all the bad toxins- basically, it flushes the shit out.  Gross I know, but VERY effective.

We are also big fans of Kombucha.  Kom what?  Kombucha.  It's awesome.  Make sure you are buying organic, raw Kombucha- we like this brand.  You can also brew this stuff at home but to be honest, I just don't have time for that right now.  Use Kombucha anytime you're feeling "off" and I guarantee you will begin to feel better by the time you've sipped half the bottle.  Which BTW- this stuff is powerful.  Sip slowly and with purpose, don't overdo it- especially your first time around.  We love this stuff when traveling as well, since we can't always blend up a batch of Green Smoothies, but you can easily find Kombucha in many grocery stores.  And you all know what travel does to your body.
Kombucha!

  • Supplements.  I've had many people tell me that I'm wasting my time and money by taking vitamins and supplements.  However, the research supports the healing properties and benefits to incorporating supplements into your daily regime.
Elderberry Syrup
for kids!
We take magnesium, vitamin C, fish oil, vitamin D, calcium and glucosamine daily.  My husband also takes cinnamon for his high blood pressure.  As always, check with your doctor or naturopath before beginning any supplement regiment.  Do they work?  Yes.  I have actually put this to the test.  Last week I stopped taking my morning supplements and by day 4, my body was really hurting.  Aches and pains and I was seriously dragging- I had NO energy.  So yes, for us they work and we will continue to invest in them.

During the cold/flu season we all (kiddo included) take Elderberry.  I can NOT say enough good things
about Elderberry.  This is the second season we've added this natural element to our health care routine and I've noticed a big difference.  The husband and I take our Elderberry in capsule form simply because this is what's easiest for us and the kiddo takes his by drinking elderberry syrup each morning.  We do this from October to the end of March.

We use Trader Joe's organic virgin
Coconut Oil
  • Coconut Oil.  This oil has some amazing health benefits but just make sure you are buying organic!  Recently we've started adding coconut oil to our diet.  I will admit that this has been a difficult task for us, mainly because I really don't like the taste of coconuts.  So that can clearly make it difficult to try and use it for cooking but I will say that I LOVE it on popcorn!  SO freakin' good!
We are also using coconut oil by oil pulling.  The kiddo has yet to try it but the husband and I both try to do this several times per week.  We also use coconut oil topically.  I put it on my face after I wash every night and I love putting a small amount in my hair each week as a deep conditioner.  It's great for treating rashes and skin conditions too!  And I have heard that it can be used as a sunscreen so I'm excited to try that out this summer.

  • Quarantine.  Yep, you heard me right- although perhaps that's too strong a word.  Simply put, if we know someone is sick we stay away from them.  Now don't feel bad, it's nothing personal but I don't want those germs anywhere near my healthy family.  And when the kids start "going down" at the kiddo's homeschool program, I have no problem keeping him home for a day or two.  Seriously- think about it.  If they get sick, they are home from school/classes anyways.  So why not just do a preemptive strike?

  • Epsom Salt Baths.  Who would have thought that Epsom Salt baths would help you maintain your overall health but they do, they really do!  They help to draw out the toxins and ease muscle aches and pains and they can also help reduce stress.  Now that's pretty cool!
I recommend taking at least a 30 minute bath once per week.  You can also try adding in some essential oils and I've heard of folks using baking soda with the Epsom Salts.  Ah- good old baking soda.  But for me, right now I'm just using regular Epsom Salts from Rite Aid.  Nothing fancy.  And let me tell you- I feel SO relaxed and my skin feels amazing.  Try it- you'll see!

  • No Vaccines.  OOOHH....this is sure to be a controversial item on this list.  Which is why I've saved it for the very end!  We no longer get the flu vaccine.  Personally, I feel that if you are doing all of the items above then you're covered.  There's simply no need to inject a chemical cocktail into your body.  
It's important to note that we do get some vaccines.  However we do our research first and are very selective on what we inject into our bodies and more importantly, our son's body.  This is simply my recommendation for you all.  No matter what your personal beliefs are on vaccinations- I urge you to simply do a little research first and make an educated decision for your family.  


  • And finally- listen to your body.  


You will know when something isn't right.  When your throat starts to hurt- that is the time to take precautions.  Not after it's developed into a full blown cold.  If you wake up feeling a little queasy, act now- not 12 hours later when you are hunched over the toilet.  If you're tired then rest.  If you're energy is low- make yourself a Green Smoothie.  It really is that easy.  Along with a healthy lifestyle- no smoking, no excessive drinking, plenty of sleep etc., you can easily keep you and your family healthy during the dreaded cold and flu season.

My family has drastically improved our overall health just by following the simple suggestions above.  If we can do- then I know you can too!


No comments:

Post a Comment