Monday, May 19, 2014

The Best Homeschooling Lessons Do NOT Come From a Textbook

Remember at the beginning of this month, when I posted about Unschooling?  Eh- perhaps you don't.

The gist of it was that the kiddo decided he was going to write a letter to his Great Grandparents in California.  He poured over this letter for a full week and then made some original mud drawings to accompany the letter.

Well today, the kiddo received a return letter.  He tore into that thing like it was Christmas!
The return letter

And the letter that followed the sweet puppy dog calendar was simply the best letter a Grandparent (or in this case, Great Grandparent) could write to a young child.  I'm not going to copy it word for word- because, well....some things are private.  But I will give you just a short excerpt that my Grandpa wrote to the kiddo.

"Will:  Got your letter yesterday along with paw prints in "real mud" of your Buddy.  That is one of the most thoughtful and special letters that I have ever received.  Thank You."

So yeah.  That was awesome.

I just want to take a moment to acknowledge all the things that are right with this:

  • Investing in the special bond between Grandparents and Grandson
  • Taking the time to write a reply
  • Acknowledging when someone has done something special for you
  • Leading by example
  • Going above and beyond
  • Showing your family what it means to be a Grandparent- honesty, respect, follow through, kindness and consideration
  • Being a constant and uplifting presence in your Grand children's lives


And now I want to highlight what the kiddo has learned from all of this:
  • Something as simple as writing a letter, can brighten someone's day
  • Thoughtful gestures should always be appreciated
  • There are lots of people who love you and show it
  • Some Grandparents are truly awesome
  • Proper etiquette and letter writing skills
  • Going above and beyond
  • Following the example set by these Grandparents, as they always write letters to the kiddo
  • What it means to invest in a special relationship
  • Getting mail is fun- even for Grandparents

Personally, I have learned that this is the type of Grandma I want to be when I get older.  I want to be a loving and constant presence.  I want to write letters, send cards and funny emails.  Well- if emails and the post office still exist in 50 years!  I want to celebrate with them and be thankful for them.  I want them to learn that they can count on me.  But most importantly, I want to show them love and teach them what it means to be a Grandparent.  I want to lead by example just as my Grandparents have done for me and for my son.

These lessons didn't come from a book, an online class or unit study.  Because as all homeschooling parents know, the best lessons in life, the ones that last forever- are those we don't learn from a textbook.






No comments:

Post a Comment