Tuesday, July 2, 2013

July 4th- It's NOT the President's Birthday

Driving in the car the other day, William asked me how many more days until the 4th of July.  Nothing new- we've been counting down since mid June.  But when I said, "America's birthday is in 6 days" his immediate reply was "it's not America's birthday Mom! It's the President's".  Hmm...no. Not quite child.  Clearly this Homeschooling Mama has failed in the teaching of the true meaning of the 4th of July.

So I set out to teach him.  I put some books on hold at the library and looked up some YouTube videos.  Seriously- every proper homeschooling Mom needs to utilize the library & YouTube!  But then I thought- does William know the true meaning behind any of the holidays?  I like to think he understands Christmas and Easter, but let's face it- Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are more present in my home then Jesus is.  And so begins the real dilemma.  How does one go about teaching the true meaning behind each holiday?  And further more- is it really necessary?  Seriously- do you know why we celebrate St.Patrick's Day?  I know we all love pinching those unlucky folks not wearing green & enjoy getting shnockered on Guinness (blech!) but what's it really about??  And what's up with Valentine's Day- that's not even a real holiday!  How about those lesser known "B list" holidays, like Earth Day & Flag Day?  Arbor Day anyone?  A busy Mom could drive herself crazy trying to celebrate each one.  And let's not forget other cultures and their holidays.  I sure would like my child to have a basic understanding of Kwanzaa & Yom Kippur and other holidays- wouldn't you?



William & his Firework Swords
I know that when William gets older and looks back on these celebrations, it's the traditions he will remember.  Blowing things up with Daddy.  Making ice cream sodas with Mom.  BBQ with the grandparents & neighbors.  Trips to the Indian Reservation for the "good" stuff.  Staying up late, eating too much junk food, making the "snakes" grow, dancing on Pop-It's, having Sparkler wars and more.  Does it really matter that for now, he thinks it's the President's birthday instead of America's?  Hey- at least he still thinks it's someone's birthday, right?

So I decided to give myself a reprieve.  I'm not the worst Mom ever- I've still got time to teach him.  And let's face it, if he went to a "normal" school, he wouldn't be learning the true meaning of any holiday.  Jesus who?  And for goodness sakes, what is a Fall Festival? Seriously??  Sad but true my friends.  Sad but true...

So I relaxed....and then a wonderful thing happened.  He started reading those books.  He started asking me questions.  He wanted to learn and so he did.  "Mom, is the White House in Washington?  Mom, is Obama the President of our country?  Mom, how old is America?  Mom, who bakes the cake for America?"  That last question was my favorite and indeed a good question.  I don't know son- lets google it.

Has this ever happened in your house?  This my fellow parents is called  Unschooling.  The radical idea that children can learn from their environment.  No formal anything- nada, zip, zilch.  And it's amazing!  You as parents provide the tools, the materials, the books, the YouTube videos, the opportunities and your children learn.  Simple as that.  Man, do I love when this happens!

Now as we approach The President's America's Birthday- William knows just a little bit more about it then he did last week.  For me, that's good enough.  And perhaps, we will bake that cake for America.  It is her birthday after all.

Happy Birthday America!

No comments:

Post a Comment