Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Ack! Holy Sore Throat Batman!

The kiddo has been spending more and more time socializing (see- homeschoolers DO know how to socialize mmkay...) and as a result, he's been exposed to more nasty germs.  After an entire day spent hanging with a friend, he developed a sore throat that evening.

Well crap.

You all should know that the kiddo has NEVER been really sick.  Like- actual sick sick.  I'm talking full blown week long cold, fever, chills, flu etc- yeah, he's never experienced this unpleasantness.  So he was quite miserable with his sore throat.  I immediately began him on a homeopathic regime, not to worry, I will outline it below.  It burned out of his system by day 2 and never fully developed.  So I guess one could say that the sick free streak continues....although I suppose it comes down to how you define "sick".

However, just as the nasty germs were vacating his body, they latched onto mine.  Oh yes...the glamour and prestige of being called Mom means you are fortunate enough to catch any and everything currently befalling the people inside your home.  Lucky for me, I knew it was probably heading my way and I had been taking precautions and then immediately began my own homeopathic regiment.  I am happy to say that I'm currently on day 3 and while it's held me in it's grasp just a bit longer than the kiddo, I am almost completely over whatever THIS was and it hasn't developed into anything major.  Hallelujah!

So how did we do this?  How have we been able to effectively STOP cold and flu like symptoms from developing?  Don't fret- I'm sharing it below!

Step 1:

  • Immediately begin diffusing essential oils.  Like non-stop.  
  • I always add some Thieves oil to anything I am diffusing during the cold and flu season.  Thieves is a great anti bacterial and helps combat these nasty germs.
  • To the Thieves oil, I added my Breathe Easier blend from Eden's Garden.
  • If you don't have Breathe Easier, simply mix lemon, peppermint, rosemary and eucalyptus.
  • I had the diffuser on any time we were inside the house- especially at night!
Step 2:
  •  Mix up a sore throat remedy using your essential oils.   
  • Combine your carrier oil (I use organic coconut oil) with sage, peppermint, lemon, rosemary and thyme.
  • Apply constantly to your throat, behind ears and if desired, to the side of your nostrils so you can breathe it in more easily.
Step 3:
Step 4: 
  • Whenever your throat feels especially sore, take a spoonful of honey to help soothe it.
  • Your honey NEEDS to be local and raw.  Dude- it just does.  You most likely won't be able to buy this honey from your local grocery store.  And no- organic honey is NOT good enough!
Step 5:
  • Pop the Zinc.
  • Lots of ways to do this but for us we like these Elderberry and Zinc "cough" drops.  Although you don't need to wait to be actually coughing before you use them.
  • Adults you might also try Zicam brand zinc melts.  They do make a kid's version but I've found it's not needed and the kiddo prefers the cough drops.   
Well that's it.  Just five easy steps to STOP the cold and flu symptoms in their tracks.  I can promise you that if you do these steps at the FIRST sign of illness, you will recover faster.  I truthfully haven't had a full blown cold in years and the last time I had the flu was easily seven years ago.  No joke.  It also goes without saying that your diet and overall lifestyle plays a big part in your health.  When you put good food in your body, REAL FOOD, you will be amazed at how much better you feel! 



Want to read more?

No comments:

Post a Comment