Monday, March 28, 2016

Unexpected Gifts

The book- the husband found it at Barnes & Noble.
As part of my Valentine gift from the husband, he gave me this sweet "fill in the blank" book.  It's all about me and us and our love story and quite possibly one of the most thoughtful and romantic gifts he's ever given me.

This adorable little book resides in the top drawer of my nightstand and at least once a week I find myself pulling it and out reading through a few of it's sweet pages.  It's like a brand new gift each time.  

Recently I was thinking on the page where he had to fill in one thing he likes about me.  Now- ladies, I really thought I knew the answer to this one.  Seriously, I did.  And while I was probably right, the answer he gave still surprises me.

I Like Your ____________.

Style.

He said style! Gah.  I never would have guessed this one in a million, trillion years.  Mainly because the husband seems to fight my style at every turn.  He was not a fan of the colors I chose to paint the inside of our house, he doesn't like the stripes on the curtains, fiercely protested the shelving I've enlisted him to build and my clothes....well, goodness but it seems that he's always finding something he doesn't agree with.  Too short, too much skin, too much pink....you get the idea here mmkay...

So this answer was truly a BIG surprise.  He likes my style?  Say what now?!?

When I asked him about it, here was his answer- "I may not always know what your final plans are or why you do what you do, but I usually like the end result.  You have good taste in stuff"

So hmmmm.....he likes what I'm doing?  He likes the way I've decorated our home, he likes how I do things, he likes my personal style?  Wow.  I have to say that after almost 16 years of thinking he didn't really like my style but rather just tolerated it, I am FLOORED.  And so very happy because style is such a big part of who you are.  I'm glad that he sees this and he likes what he sees.  

What a wonderful gift he gave me this day.  Not just this treasure of a book but of the knowledge that he likes and appreciates so many of the bits and pieces that make me uniquely me.  It truly was such an unexpected gift in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment