Friday, October 24, 2014

Public School Is Like Playing Russian Roulette


"Mom- how come I don't go to a regular school?"


How do I tell my 9 year old the real reason?

How do I tell him it's because public school isn't safe?

How do I explain to him about bullying and tell him that some kids are truly mean?

How do I tell him that some of his teachers really don't have his best interests in mind?

How do I tell him all the reasons that we have for keeping him at home?

Sometimes I pray for guidance.  Sweet Jesus tell me what to do.  Most times, it's quiet.  So I trust in myself- I listen to my heart as it seizes when I think of sending my baby out the door.  I pay attention to the fear that paralyzes me when I imagine all the what-ifs.

And then a moment happens.  A tragedy.  And I know that those feelings weren't just my feelings after all.  They were God's way of saying- LISTEN.  Pay attention sweet Mama and don't you send your child, my child- through those public school doors.

It's not safe.

Don't you play Russian Roulette with his education, with his life, with his heart.  Don't you do it.

And so, we continue to homeschool.  We keep watch over our child and protect his heart and his life because the sad reality is that public schools are simply not safe anymore.  Every time our children walk through those doors- there's a chance they won't be coming home.  And I know this is an inconvenient truth but it needs to be said.  Its hard to hear but it is our nation's reality.  Our children are not safe in school, they aren't.  So why do we keep sending them there?

  *****************************************************************************
Today's blog post was in response to the tragic school shooting very close to where we live.  You can click the link here to read more about this story.  The reality is that this is NOT uncommon.  School's are no longer safe places for our children to learn.  They simply aren't.  And this is just one of the MANY reasons why we chose to homeschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment