Friday, July 11, 2014

10 Things You Should Never Say to the Mom with One Child

The kiddo is 9 so for the most part- these comments have died off.  Praise Jesus.  Because I will fully admit that I don't always know how to reply to them and frankly, can't believe some of the things that come out of people's mouths!  Now, I do try and always give folks the benefit of the doubt.  And I like to think these comments are well-intentioned....but really?!?  Just...really?!?

So the next time you see a Mom with one child- please refrain from saying these things.  Please?  Pretty please?


  1. Just One?  Oh.  My.  Gawd.  Nothing gets me more fired up then someone asking if I have just one child.  Just?  Gah!  I don't ask if you have just 3 kids or just 8 kids, so why would you ask if I have just one?  
  2. But he needs a sibling.  No- I'm pretty sure no one needs a sibling.  This is strictly a matter of want.  The reality is this- sometimes siblings suck.  Seriously suck.  No one needs this in their life- stuck with a crappy sibling.  How about a nice best friend or a close cousin instead?
  3. But what if he dies, then you won't have any kids.  Cheese and crackers people!  Do you even think before speaking?  What if all your kids die- then we'll be even.  Sheesh.
  4. Lucky you- all that free time.  I'm sorry- what?!?  I'm still a Mom and I still have Mom shit to do, same as you.  Feeding 3 kids doesn't really take any longer then feeding one.  I still drive around to soccer practices, swimming, classes, doctor appointments etc.  
  5. Better have another kid before you get any older.  Deep breath.....did you just call me old?!?  Yeah, you probably shouldn't have said that.
  6. Everyone needs an heir and a spare.  I'm sorry- are kids tires now?  Pretty sure I don't need a spare kid.  And how insulting that you think of your kids in terms of spares.  Wow....just wow.
  7. Doesn't he get lonely?  Well, I'm pretty sure with all the playdates, soccer practices, trips to the YMCA, school etc that my child is anything but lonely.  So try again.
  8. He'll grow up to be a spoiled brat.  While it's true that I do spoil the people that I love- spoiling someone doesn't necessarily mean they will grow up and be a spoiled brat.  It's all in how you raise them.  My kid knows how to share, show kindness, express empathy and be a good human being.  Done and done.
  9. Don't you wonder what a girl would look like?  Well all the damn time.  But that doesn't mean I'm going to have another kid just so I can compare looks.  I'm pretty sure any children I have would be cute- doesn't mean I'm having more.
  10. That's selfish.  Sigh...well I guess it is just a little bit.  But isn't it selfish to keep having kids because you want babies without thinking about how this affects your present kids and spouse.  How many wives get baby fever and the husband just gives in- you know he doesn't want more, yet you do it anyways.  Now that's really selfish.
And you probably shouldn't say this to a Mom
with more then one child!

No comments:

Post a Comment