Friday, December 13, 2013

McDonald's



I have a confession to make- up until this summer, we were still eating at McDonald's.  There, I said it.

I considered my family fairly "normal" in our fast food consumption habits.  We ate at home most days during the week and then ate out a couple times on the weekend.  I would say that we averaged 2 meals out per week.  Some weeks it was more depending upon what we had going.  A super busy week meant more visits to the drive thru.

When we started the transition to an organic, natural and less processed diet- fast food and eating out wasn't even on the list.  Seriously!  With SO many other changes happening on our dinner plates, our comfort junk food was at the very bottom of the list.  So it may come as a surprise to people that we still frequented many fast food restaurants yet ate vegetarian and organic foods at home.  I know....I know....

We have been slowly changing our diet and overall lifestyle for the past 6 years.  If you've read my series on making the change to organic foods, you know that this is a process.  It takes time.  In the last 2 years, we've given up many fast food places and restaurants that we used to visit regularly.  Besides the fact that I now know what's in most of these fast food burgers, these places now makes us sick afterwards.  Ugh- I just can't believe I used to put this junk in my body!  Let alone allow my child to eat it!

When your body is clean and you eat dirty food- you know it!

We've slowly found a few better alternatives so that we can still occasionally eat out.  Hey- let's face it, sometimes you just don't want to cook!  Again!  But up until this summer, I was still taking my son to eat at McDonald's at least once per month.

Bad Mommy!


There's really no excuse for it.  I knew what was in their food and yet I still drove my son there, paid for it and many times, I ate it myself.  Then one day, I just decided that I couldn't do it anymore.  Sure it was my son's favorite place, it was the closest restaurant near my house and it was cheap and easy- but what in the world was I doing?!?

One July afternoon as we were driving by the golden arches, I said to William- "we aren't going to be eating at McDonald's anymore".  The reaction was exactly what I had expected.  But I knew going cold turkey would be best, so that's just what we did.

I can now say that the list of acceptable food and restaurant options has dwindled.  Severely.

And it's now been over 6 months since my son has eaten McDonald's.  He no longer asks to go there.  And just the other day he was telling a friend about all the gross things inside a chicken nugget.  We have successfully detoxed and it feels great!

1 comment:

  1. If you've ever entered towards carefully ornamented as well as comfy wellness meals stores which were popular currently, you'll easily get yourself a experiencing with what this type of person wanting to achieve Health Food

    ReplyDelete