Sunday, December 22, 2013

A Tale of Two Santas

For nine years now I have been taking my son to visit Santa at our local mall.  Every single year, it has been the same Santa.  The SAME EXACT SANTA!!!!

This is perhaps one of my most treasured holiday memories that I've created for my son.

We print out his pictures with Santa and each year, I put one in an ornament picture frame to hang on our Christmas tree.  It's wonderful to watch my son grow and age through the years- and Santa too!  Poor old guy.

So imagine my surprise when some of my friends started posting their pictures on Facebook with the mall Santa and it was NOT the real Santa.  Holy Crap.  By the way- you should know that this particular Santa has a bit of a cult following in my neighborhood.  For most families, he is the ONLY Santa that they have ever taken their children to visit.  Some families even have 15 years with the same Santa.

I waited for over 2 weeks hoping that the REAL Santa would make an appearance on my friends Facebook pages.  And finally, the last weekend before Christmas, I couldn't wait any longer.  And it was with great sadness and trepidation that I took my son to the mall to visit Santa.

We walked through Macy's, rounded the corner to Santa's chair and I hear- "Mom! That's not the real Santa!"  And I just wanted the stop right there and cry.  But like any good Mama- I kept on trudging.  In line for "Impostor Santa" as he's now been nicknamed, we discussed how maybe the REAL Santa was too busy up at the North Pole.  Or perhaps he wasn't feeling well so he sent his cousin.  There was even talk of a "new" Santa a la the movie, The Santa Clause.

So my son sat with Impostor Santa and told him what he wanted for Christmas.  We had pictures taken and as I was paying for them- I tried not to be THAT Mom.  You know the one....bawling like a baby because her son would be breaking a holiday tradition by having his pictures taken with Impostor Santa.  Oh yeah...that Mom.

Later that day, I posted over on my personal Facebook page how heartbroken I was that the REAL Santa was no longer at the mall.  And imagine my surprise when several of my friends claimed to have taken pictures with the REAL deal.  Seriously, I almost peed my pants.  WHAT!!!  THE REAL SANTA IS HERE?!?

A quick phone call to the mall information line confirmed it.  Here's how it went down-

Me- yes, I need to know when the REAL Santa will be there.

Poor Mall Lady- well, Santa's here every day from 10am....blah, blah, blah

Me- No.  You don't understand.  I was there earlier today and you had an Impostor.  My son needs to see the REAL Santa.

Poor Mall Lady- Oh.  Well the REAL Santa doesn't arrive from the North Pole until 3pm.

Me- Thank You Jesus.

So yeah...I'm pretty sure the Poor Mall Lady was making fun of me a little bit there.  That's alright, I probably deserved it.  But I got the information I needed.  The REAL Santa's shift didn't start until 3pm.

Fast forward two hours and I'm standing in a never ending line wishing I had a Disney Fastpass to navigate this mess.  My crabby husband is dodging little fingers from twin monsters who insist upon pinching his butt and throwing their binky's at him.  And I'm doing a little happy dance in this never ending line because the REAL Santa is here!

And then it happened.

"Mom.  He's here.  The REAL Santa is here."

In that moment, it was all worth it.  Two trips to the mall during the Christmas shopping season.  Dodging near collisions in the parking lot.  A cranky husband.  Shelling out $15 for toxic mall pretzels to appease the hunger Gods while waiting in line.  All of it.  Worth it.

And as we walked away from the REAL Santa, I said a little prayer that he would be back again next year.











No comments:

Post a Comment