Saturday, April 25, 2015

How Do You Do It?!?

This is a question that I hear quite frequently.  The reality is pretty simple- everything just seems to work out.

What am I talking about?  Well, in case you're not a regular over on my Facebook page, you might not know that I'm a bit of an overachiever perfectionist with OCD tendencies.  Yikes!

I have two jobs, work the equivalent of 60 hours each week and homeschool in addition to being Wife and Mom.  I'm pretty busy.  Ok- I am very busy.  Many of you have asked how this is even possible and want to know how you can do this too.  So today I thought I would share with you my typical weekly schedule.


Monday
10-Noon Homeschool Classes- away from home
Noon-2pm Errands
2-8pm Customer Service (Job #1) while doing homeschool lessons with kiddo

Total = 6 hours work
             4 hours homeschooling


Tuesday
9-8pm Job #1 at home while doing homeschool lessons with kiddo

*This is the day I also schedule all appointments as needed.  I'm talking- doctor visits, dog grooming, orthodontist etc.

Total = 11 hours work
             2 hours homeschooling


Wednesday
10-Noon Homeschool Classes- away from home
1-5:30pm Job #1 while doing homeschool lessons with kiddo at home
6-7pm Karate at YMCA
7-9pm Open Swim at YMCA, about every other week

Total = 4.5 hours work
             6 hours homeschooling
             

Thursday
9-4pm Job #1 at home while doing homeschool lessons with the kiddo
12:30-2:30pm Homeschool Classes at YMCA, drop off & come home to work
5pm-11pm  Administrative Assistant (Job #2)- away from home

Total = 13 hours work
             4 hours homeschooling


Friday
9-4pm Job #1 at home while doing homeschool classes
5pm-Midnight Job #2, every other week
7-9pm Open Swim at YMCA if not working job #2

Total = 14 hours work
             3 hours homeschooling



Saturday
Job #2 Hours vary but approximately 6-10 hours
Kiddo's soccer game, times vary

Total = 6-10 hours work



Sunday
Job #2 Hours vary between 6-10 hours approximately every other Sunday

Total = 6-10 hours work



Grand Total for the Week:

Work:  60.5-68.5 hours
Homeschooling: 19 hours


Wow!  Until I put my schedule in written form, I didn't realize how much time I really spend working.  Please keep in mind that this is also an average.  Some weeks are less and some are more.

A few things to note.  

  • I don't work every single weekend, all weekend long.  I typically have one Saturday or Sunday off per month.  However, many times this day off is filled with family activities or babysitting.  Rarely do I have a real "FREE" day.
  • Both my jobs offer a very flexible schedule.  This is my only priority when looking for work- flexibility is key to a schedule as busy as this!
  • This schedule might not work as well if I wasn't allowed to work from home for job #1.
  • Job #1 also involves assembly work, so many times I am assembling for job #1 on the weekends after coming home from job #2.  On these days, I can spend 18 hours working.
  • In addition to work and homeschool- I am also in charge of all cooking, cleaning and household chores like grocery shopping and bill paying.  Food is always prepped and left for my boys when I'm out working as my main priority is ALWAYS my husband and son.
  • Because both the husband & I have heavy work loads, our date nights are sacred.  Our schedules usually align about twice per month and we are able to enjoy a night out together.  If a month has gone by and we've missed date night, I will switch shifts with a co-worker at job #2 so that I can spend a night out with my man.  My marriage comes first!


Want to read more about working and homeschooling?




No comments:

Post a Comment