Sunday, April 19, 2015

Unplug Yourself



These last four weeks I have taken an unintentional break from the computer and online world.

You see, first my cell phone stopped working.  It's basically just a phone now that dials and receives calls- but don't leave me a voicemail or send me a text because I won't get it!  Then while I was updating my laptop, I somehow caught the lovely virus known as, The Automatic Repair Loop.  Fabulous.  And finally, my Ipad decided to freeze up on me.  Not good.

Since I work from home Monday through Friday, I NEED a working computer and Internet connection.  Otherwise I can't work.  I was happily limping along on my Ipad but when it hit the crapper, I knew it was finally time to drag myself back into the "real" world.

Gah.

However, in these last few weeks, I've learned quite the lesson.  Which is of course that sometimes we need this break from the constant technology.  It's been so nice not having to listen to a mountain of voice mails- both work and personal.  Although I'm sure work would heartily disagree.  The freedom that comes with not seeing the barrage of text messages or weeding through the spam in my email in box has been very liberating.  But perhaps the best thing of all has been all the free time I have suddenly found myself with.  I'm not mindlessly surfing anymore and that gives me more time to devote to my family.

This lesson comes at a perfect time.  Ironic though it may be- this article has been floating around social media the last week.  And wouldn't you know it, it's all about how social media is ruining marriages for this generation.

Say what?!?

I'll summarize.  In it, the author states that marriages fail because of five main reasons.  Those being, lack of sex, financial hardship, disconnect, selfishness and you guessed it- social media.

Can we just step back for a moment and take a common sense approach to marriage?

If you are lying, cheating and spending more time on Facebook than with your spouse- yes, you will encounter marital discourse.  If you are rude and selfish- I hate to say it but no one, spouse included, will want to spend any time with you.  And for heaven's sakes- figure out your finances right quick so they aren't the reason your marriage fails.

You guys- this isn't that hard.  We can do this.  Seriously- our grandparents did it, our great grandparents did it- we should be able to as well.  Right?  The only difference between the generations before us and the one we currently live in is the fact that we are constantly plugged in.  Computers, laptops, cell phones, Ipads, nooks, apps, blogs and the latest- the Apple Watch.

Get off the technology.  For the LOVE OF GOD, just simmer down.  It's too much.  It's everywhere.  It's constant.  It's not necessary.

While I completely agree that marriages can fail for any number of reasons- in my opinion they are not successful because we simply don't view them as sacred.  Somewhere along the way, we stopped seeing marriage as holy matrimony and more as an item to check off our To-Do List.

Prior to my month long technology reprieve- I was still bringing the Ipad into bed with me.  Surfing the funny cat videos and reaching the next level on Candy Crush was more important than cuddling with my husband.  Or least, this was the message I was sending out loud and clear.  I was not making my time with my husband a priority, it simply wasn't sacred anymore.

Gah.  I'm ridiculous.

Can we just all agree to unplug from the screens and plug in more to real life?  Target your attentions on the people who are present and less on the people through the computer.  Social media and technology is great but there's a time and a place for everything.  And let me just tell you that if it's causing strife in my marriage- it will be gone.

So yes- I took a month off.  I stopped blogging.  I spent WAY less time on Facebook and I didn't even glance at Instagram or Twitter once.  Seriously- not even once.  Oh- and I'm still not texting because all my phone can do is call people.  What is this?  The 1980's?!?

And it was good.  Unplug yourself, before you wreck yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment