Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Kill Them With Kindness

In the last few years, as the kiddo has gotten older, we've made a concerted effort to distance ourselves from negative people.  Unfortunately, sometimes this simply isn't always an option.  So we do the best we can to limit our interactions with certain rude and disrespectful people.

Recently, the kiddo was around one of these people and experienced this nasty behavior firsthand.  He came to us and said, "they were so mean to me and I don't know why."

When we asked what exactly had happened, the kiddo said that this person didn't acknowledge his presence and then grunted at him and walked away.  Oh my goodness- can you even imagine an adult behaving this way towards a child?!?

Gah.

Me either.

So the husband and I took this opportunity to educate the kiddo.


Me- When people behave that way it says more about them than it ever could say about it.  It tells you exactly what kind of person they are.

Kiddo- Yeah, a bad one.

Me- Sometimes people's actions and behaviors speak louder then their words.  It's important for you to listen to what their behavior is telling you.

Husband- And do you know how you should have responded to this person?

Kiddo- What can I do, I'm just a kid and they are a grown up.

Husband- Kill them with kindness.

Kiddo- Huh?  Why would I do that?


Me- Because you are a good person and you do not behave in that nasty way.  The next time you see this person, I want you to make a point of asking them nicely how they are.  Be kind to them and remember to use your manners.

Kiddo- But they will just be mean to me again.

Me- Perhaps.  But this time it will require more effort on their part to continue acting in rudeness.  And it will show them that you are not going to resort to the same type of behavior.

Husband- And let's face it, no grown adult should ever treat a child that way.  We don't treat their kids that way and I expect the same in return.  That behavior is simply unacceptable from them and you do not have to put up with that.


So yeah.

Unfortunately, I am not surprised by this particular person and their rudeness towards my child.  They have behaved in this manner the entire time that I've known them and this is simply one of the reasons that we have put distance between our families.  It is very sad.

However, I will say that I am very disappointed that a grown up would act in this manner towards a child.  Especially a child who has done nothing towards them.  But as I explained to the kiddo, this type of behavior says more about that person than it ever will about you.  How you react is what determines the kind of person you are.

When someone is rude and disrespectful towards you- give them kindness in return.  Even if you have to fake it, put a smile on your face and carry on with your awesome self.

This is the lesson we want our child to walk away with.  Not that some grown up's can be true a$%^&* but that he can chose how he reacts to that poor behavior and this is what will determine his true character.

No comments:

Post a Comment