Friday, July 1, 2016

The Great Hair Cut

For almost five years now I have been growing my hair out.  I initially started growing long (see VERY long) hair because the husband loves long hair.  Eh- all men really....but I truthfully started this journey to please my man.

Gasp!  That's right....a woman intentionally doing something just TO PLEASE A MAN?!?  Say it isn't so....feminists flame on because that is the cold, hard truth.  We ladies in love occasionally do stuff just to make our husband's happy.  True story.

But then y'all....then it became SO much more.  I loved this persona of long haired bombshell if you will...whenever I took the time to really style it, I always received compliments.  And I liked it.  Who wouldn't right?  But in the midst of this small superficial shift in my personality, I decided that something MUCH better than compliments could come from all this hair.

And so it was that about 2 years into my "hair journey", I decided that I was going to donate it to charity.  Because I could always grow more but not everyone else had this ability and as I had learned, HAIR IS vital to feeling beautiful.  

Y'all.  If my hair could make someone else feel beautiful- I was gonna make that happen.

I Googled all the places that one donates hair and what I found out is that not all of them are the same.  I wanted my hair to be 100% FREE to whomever would be receiving it.  This was my gift to them and I certainly didn't want ANYONE to be profiting off of that gift.

I decided to donate to Wigs for Kids.  I researched their requirements and set about growing my hair even longer so that I wouldn't have to shave my head in order to give this gift.  I still wanted hair left on my own head after the donating was done thank you very much.

They needed 12 inches of washed, dried, color free hair.  TWELVE INCHES you guys.  As someone who's hair grows literally 3 inches per year, this amount seemed impossible.  Add into this that one needs to trim up your hair every so often so it will continue to grow and be healthy...yeah, it quite honestly felt like 3 steps forward and 2 steps back.  So many times I wanted to give up.  SO.  MANY.  TIMES.

There's plenty of other people who could donate hair after all...

But you guys, not everyone does.  If we all adopt this attitude that "someone else will step up and do it" then no one ever really does.  Think of all the amazing good things we could do if only we followed through on our best intentions.

So I didn't give up.

Almost five years later, I am happy to say that my 12 inches of hair is on it's way to Wigs for Kids.  Some child will hopefully feel just a little bit better and perhaps just a little more beautiful about themselves as they go through a difficult stage in their young lives.  And this....gah, THIS is what it's all about.

I encourage every single one of you to donate your hair at least once in your life.  Just once.  Because that is all it takes to make a big difference in someone else's life.  One time.

Together we can make a big impact.


A message from Wigs for Kids:


For over 30 years, Wigs for Kids has been providing Hair Replacement Systems and support for children who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, Alopecia, Trichotillomania, burns and other medical issues at no cost to children or their families.

The effects of hair loss go deeper than just a change in a child’s outward appearance. Hair loss can erode a child’s self-confidence and limit them from experiencing life the way children should. With an injured self-image, a child’s attitude toward treatment and their physical response to it can be negatively affected also. Wigs for Kids helps children suffering from hair loss look themselves and live their lives.

Because we never charge families for hair replacements, we depend on generous people like you that want to help donate hair for cancer and other sources of hair loss. In order to help children who have suffered from hair loss due to complications such as Alopecia in children and other medical issues, a monetary or hair donation is always appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment