Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Blessings in Disguise

Well, we've officially begun soccer season.

Yeah- you can just hear the joy and excitement, can't you?  But I'm going to be honest here and say that I'm really not a HUGE fan.  I don't enjoy sports.  The hours spent shuttling to and fro.  Sitting outside in both the overwhelming heat in August and then the bitter cold in October and November definitely leaves something to be desired.  Add in the fact that the kiddo has been playing with the same team for 3 years now and they have yet to win a game....oh man.  It's gonna be a long couple of months.

But let me also be VERY clear.  I will always put on a happy face and pretend that I enjoy it.  And I will encourage my child and support him because it's something he enjoys.  I will use phrases like, "it's not about winning or losing- it's about how you play the game."  I will cheer from the sidelines.  I will bring the MOST AMAZING SNACK ever!  I will be the best darn soccer Mom even if it
kills me.  But let's hope it doesn't.

But this year- oh yikes.  This year the kiddo has a few new teammates and he's having a hard time with one in particular.  We are only 7 soccer practices in and already this boy has been name calling, made fun of the kiddo, punched him in the stomach and kicked him in the thigh.  Leaving a pretty nasty cleat shaped bruise I might add.

We homeschool so we don't have to deal with children like this.

Sigh...I know...I probably shouldn't even be saying that, but it's the truth.  Honest to God, there are some awful people out there and kids can be SO cruel.  As a result, I am doing my best to see this as a blessing in disguise.  It's a great lesson for the kiddo on how to deal with conflict and with difficult people.  It's a lesson for the husband in restraint.  Husbands- you get me, right?  And it pushes me to work more closely with the kiddo on his behavior and his reactions.  Good lessons all around.

And then we were driving home from soccer practice last night and the kiddo was super excited about how well he was doing.  "Mom- I kicked his butt!"

Oh man....

But wait- let me just stop for a moment.

It's Soccer Season!!!
The kiddo has always approached soccer as something fun but was never really serious about it.  He got stuck in the goal net once for goodness sakes!  But something's changed this year.  He's much more focused, he wants to practice at home, he wants his Dad to help him learn "tricks", he wants to be early to practice so he has more time with the coach, he's playing harder, he's running faster- in short, he's much improved.

And I'm pretty sure it's all because he wants to "stick it" to that difficult kid.

So should I look this gift horse in the mouth?  The kiddo has had a major improvement in his focus and determination on the soccer field and all because he's been challenged by another player, even if that player is on the same team.  That's good, right?

Well I'm just going to admit that while I'm not a fan of this other boy, I am thankful that he's pushed my son to up his game so to speak.  And I have done the obligatory Mom speech which contains excerpts like, "you need to learn to work together" and "you're on the same team" and "treat others how you want to be treated".  But perhaps in the long run, this really will be a good thing?  I suppose only time will tell....

No comments:

Post a Comment