Wednesday, July 15, 2015

I Would Encourage You....

Well it's official folks- I'm now offering advice to the younger generation.  Gah.  I used to be the younger generation but now it seems that I'm becoming part of the older, wiser generation.

Perfect case in point.

Yesterday I was speaking with someone and he told me he didn't know how to go about renting a house.  A twenty year old doesn't know how to do something that I've now done more than once.  Crap.

And then he talked to me about just buying a house...with someone who is not financially responsible.

So I felt compelled to say- STOP.  That's a bad idea mmkay....although I did word it a little nicer.  In fact, my new favorite phrase seems to be anything that begins with the words, "I would encourage you to....." followed by my sage advice that can only come from too many life experiences.

Is this what it feels like to be in your mid-thirties?

I've dated.  I've married.  I've birthed.  I've bought and sold 2 houses.  Rented houses.  Had poor credit.  Had excellent credit.  I've bought cars.  Been hospitalized.  Had major surgeries.  Been through traumatizing health scares.  Vacationed without my parents.  Hosted big, major events in my own home.  Hell- I have my own home.

It's official.

I'm a grown up.

And it just feels so weird.  And it just feels so foreign.  I used to be the stupid and carefree 19 year old.  I used to have to ask my parents how to do stuff.  But now I'm a parent and I'm offering my encouragement to the younger crowd.

So wow.  I'm just gonna think on that one for a moment.

And the next time someone younger then me asks for my advice or how to go about something- I'll remember that I was once them.  I was you.  You are me.  We are the same.  And so I'll willingly give you what I've learned and say to you, "I would encourage you...."  And I just hope that someone older and wiser than me, will do the same when I need a little encouragement and guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment