Sunday, April 24, 2016

No Facebook For You!

Whelp.  The kiddo officially has a cell phone.  And a whole 2 years ahead of where I thought we would be!  So what's changed?  How is this now allowed in our house?

Well let me tell you all.....we recently began giving the kiddo more freedom.  Gah.  That dreaded word that every Mama runs from....but it's true.  The kiddo is now allowed to stay home while I make a quick run to the grocery store or for the hour in between parental supervision while Mom has left for work but Dad isn't quite home yet.  See....freedom....kind of....

But y'all- I'm not about to leave my CHILD home alone with no way to call for help.  Because that would just be plain irresponsible!  And so, we went out and purchased the Walmart special- a TracFone.  Complete with very limited data and buttons that don't immediately respond when you touch them.

The kiddo is in HEAVEN.

Of course there are rules that come with having a cell phone.  The big one being that this phone STAYS in our kitchen.  It does not travel around the house, it doesn't go with the kiddo to his homeschool classes, he's not allowed to take it up to his bedroom or outside- it stays where it can be constantly monitored.  The other biggie is of course CONTENT.  I'm still figuring this business out and will be downloading an app that lets me track his content but for now, I just take a look at it on the regular to see what he's viewing and doing.  He also is required to ask my permission before downloading anything.

And that is how we came to the wonderful world of social media.  Specifically- the kiddo asked if he could have his own Facebook account.

Yeah no.

Child- you are just barely 11 years old.  You have NO business on Facebook.

In truth, I think he asked mainly because he felt he "should" ask.  So many of his friends and pretty much the entire adult population is on Facebook.  I'm confident he simply wanted to be a part of that and see what it's all about.  However, when I told him no- he wasn't one bit upset and went right on about his business.

But this raises a really excellent question.  At what age should we allow our children to become involved in social media?

In my house, I am going to put this off for as long as humanly possible.  Just as we've put off cell phones and Skyping.  I want my kid to have a childhood and would much rather he hang out in person with friends than "like" their ridiculous Facebook posts.

Sorry child.  No Facebook for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment