Friday, June 19, 2015

My Weekly Menu

I've had several folks reach out to me and ask for help in what to feed their family.  Meals that are fairly easy to prepare, mostly healthy, homemade, full of fruits and veggies and limited on meat and animal products.

So Wow.

I'm just so honored that you would consider me a good person to ask.  Please know that I don't take this lightly- feeding your family is such a personal thing and I'm so privileged to share with you all I've learned thus far.

In case you're just now stumbling across my blog- We Are Flexitarians!  We eat a mostly plant based diet with limited meat.  That means LOTS and LOTS of fruits and veggies, healthy grains and such.  We also try to eat all organic foods and have everything be homemade.  There's not a lot of processed foods in this household y'all!

So here begins the first installment of "My Weekly Menu".  I'm super excited to share with you what a real family eats.  Whenever possible, I will provide links to recipes and because I love looking at pictures of food (yeah- I'm weird that way!) I will also try to slip in as many photos as possible.

Each week will consist of 6 meals, 2 breakfasts, one dessert and other miscellaneous items like homemade snacks, dips, party items etc.  Since we tend to eat our leftovers for lunch- I don't typically buy "lunch" foods and this is why it's missing from the weekly menus.  Another thing to note is that I try to keep our meat consumption to just one day per week and of course this is ALWAYS organic (and local when possible!) meats.  Since I do all the cooking, I like to give myself one day off per week and on that night- we go out!

Alright- let's go!!!!


Evening Meals


"Fried" Zucchini sticks- photo courtesy
DamnDelicious.net

  • NW Salmon Chowder and homemade biscuits.  I made salmon last week and popped the leftovers in the freezer.  This is an excellent way to use up a small amount of leftover salmon.  My tip when making any cream based soup like this one is to use milk or chicken/veggie stock instead and then simply finish the soup with cream.  So I will substitute the 2 cups heavy cream in this recipe for milk and then use about 1/4 cup heavy cream at the very end to give it a rich taste without all that added fat.
Our favorite biscuits!!!

  • Macaroni and Cheese served with garlic green beans.  The kiddo has been asking (ok- begging) for a big bowl of this homemade Mac and Cheese for the last month!  Since we are having meat later in the week and leftover salmon, I will be making this recipe without the added bacon.  

  • Southwest Chop Salad with cilantro lime dressing.  I love making a big salad for dinner in the summertime.  While we've done many southwest/mexican salads, I've never made this dressing before so I'm super excited to give it a try!
Photo courtesy
DamnDelicious.net

  • Hot Dogs (Applegate organic) and cilantro corn on the cob cooked on the BBQ- this will be our special Father's Day dinner per the husband's request.  And you guys- this corn is simply the BOMB.COM!

  • Lentil Cakes, steamed carrots and a large salad.  Another new recipe this week- looks so yummy and I can't wait to give it a try!


Breakfasts

  • Pancakes and fresh fruit.  I will mix up a big batch of pancakes this weekend in my super large 8 cup measuring bowl (see photo below) and it will last for several breakfasts.


  • Leftover homemade biscuits served with jam.  Sometimes I will make egg and cheese biscuits or for the husband- sausage and cheese.  YUM!!!

Desserts

  • Apple Pie per the husband's request for Father's Day.


Misc.

So- my goal is to post our weekly menus for you all, every single week.  But let's be honest here- I'm a super busy Wife and Mother, so I would say that this probably won't happen.  I'll try my best and hope that this will provide some inspiration for you.  It's completely possible to feed your family homemade, healthy and vegetarian food.  If I can do this, I know you can too!


Looking for more inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment